Out Of My Mind by Sharon M Draper | Teen Ink

Out Of My Mind by Sharon M Draper

May 8, 2014
By omcanterbury6 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
omcanterbury6 BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Keep your face to the sunshine and you can never see the shadows" - Helen Keller


I’m going out of my mind from reading Out Of my Mind by Sharon M Draper. It Is the best book! This book takes place in Ohio at the Protagonists house and her school. The main character is Melody. She is a girl with a disability called cerebral palsy. She is almost 11 years old and she can’t walk or talk. Everyone thinks Melody isn’t smart and knows nothing because of her disability, but melody has a photographic memory. Melody can remember everything she hears or sees. She thinks of it as a camera in her head that takes a picture of everything and it stays in her brain. No one knows how smart Melody really is because she can’t show them or tell them. This drives melody crazy! All the kids at school think of her differently and treat her differently, but Melody hates it.



I would definitely say that this book has many themes. Over all though I think the theme is that you should give everyone a chance and they just might surprise you. The reason is because no one thinks that Melody is smart or capable of doing many things, but Melody goes out and showes everyone that she has what it takes and just because she can’t walk or talk doesn’t mean she can’t be smart. Melody is the only one to get an A plus on a test that tells you if you made the quiz bowl team and she helps them win and helps them go to nationals.

I really enjoy this book because it teaches me about having courage and never giving up no matter what. This book makes me smile, and cry. It makes me cry every time someone hurt Melody and told her she wasn’t good enough! It makes me cry when they leave her behind at the airport. Everytime Melody gets hurt she would stay strong and when they left the airport and go to nationals they lose because they didn’t have Melody. I smiled because nothing brought Melody down. I was surprised how smart Melody was even though she couldn’t walk or talk. I would for sure give this book a 5 out of 5 stars and I highly recommend it especially for tweens and teens!


The author's comments:
I really like this book and I love the characters a lot so I decided to write the review on this book. Everyone will enjoy it.