Hole In My Life by Jack Gantos | Teen Ink

Hole In My Life by Jack Gantos

By malcolmgiles BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
malcolmgiles BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona

Hole in My Life is a book about a young man with a promising future who makes a bad decision. When he encounters the wrong people in his life, he becomes distraught and his life takes a turn for the worst. His bright future no longer exists and now he is in a struggle to survive. With danger at every corner, he has no idea what the next day will hold for him. It is a story about how your life can turn around with a single poor decision.

I usually enjoy books a lot more when I can understand them easily. The book Hole in My Life uses very clear vocabulary and is easy to understand. The clarity of the book made it much more enjoyable for me. Not having to stop and look up words, or try to analyze what the author was trying to say allowed me to finish the book a lot faster. The author also wrote the book using his personal beliefs, which made the story line more enjoyable. He writes about why he made certain decisions and why he believed it was the right choice for him at the moment. This helps the reader analyze the situation and be able to better understand what is going on. As the story develops, you can see that the authors’ personal beliefs change as he matures. He begins to realize when he is making a poor decision, and he is able to begin to change his life for the better. The decisions that are made throughout the book are ones that the common person would not typically make. The storyline takes you through a journey of a young boy who struggles to attain the life he desires. It is a story one does not typically hear about, or experience. I enjoyed reading the book because it allowed me to escape from reality and experience something I’ve never seen before.

Considering I usually do not enjoy reading, I was surprised that I was able to sit down and read this entire book. While reading it, I noticed several characteristics of writing that the author used that made it much more enjoyable for me to read. From the clarity in the writing to the uniqueness of the story I was able to appreciate it all. If you are looking for a book that will keep you interested from the beginning to the last line, I definitely recommend Hole in My Life.

I had to write this