NINETEEN MINUTES | Teen Ink

NINETEEN MINUTES

NINETEEN MINUTES
All it takes is nineteen minutes to change the lives of people you have never met, people you hate and people you love. Peter did this when he brought guns to his high school in the small town of Sterling, New Hampshire, and shot 10 students and teachers. Josie, a popular girl at Sterling high school is found unconscious by the lead detective Patrick in the locker room next to her dead boy friend matt. Alex, mother of Josie is requested to be the Judge on the case. The chapters switch from present to the past of the characters lives. You will find a past relationship between Peter and Josie and a past relationship between Patrick and Alex. You will see how a small town can be turned upside down.

Jodi has a way of writing about the most serious topics and breaking them down for you to understand all sides of the issue. When starting nineteen minutes I was blown away by the beginning of Patrick the detective in his car hearing over the police scanner that shots had been fired at sterling high school. With some of the other books I have read written by Jodi Picult such as “My sisters keeper” and “Vanishing Acts” she puts characters in situations with choices and some with out where the masks of the characters are taken off and you see what that person would do under those circumstances.

If you enjoy a story with a lot of drama and issues you would find in high school I would recommend this book. When first reading this book it was hard to put it down because you are presented with so many questions that I wanted to find the answer to. I recommend all of Jodi Picult's books but this book definitely stands out with issues that we definitely need to confront in school and out in the world in general. This book will definitely impact you