The Fault in Our Stars by john green | Teen Ink

The Fault in Our Stars by john green

May 2, 2014
By cgrove1o BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
cgrove1o BRONZE, Scottsdale, Arizona
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Short Infinity
Hazel Grace Lancaster is your 16 year old average teenager in every way but one; she is a three-year stage IV cancer survivor. While attending a weekly support group, she meets another cancer survivor, Augustus Waters. The novel, The Fault in Our Stars, by John Green, plays out like your average love story except for the fact that they are both slowly dying. They fall in love with each other through literature, travel, and similar interests. As they fall madly in love with each other their health becomes irrelevant because they are more alive with each other than they have ever been before.
John Green incorporates artistic techniques in a creative manner in order to connect with the reader and keep he or she hooked. The two that stuck out to the most were reflection of real life and significant insight. Reflection of real life is a measure that claims good writing that reflects reality in a flawless manner. John Green perfectly executes this in his novel by using current day “teenage language” and by not “sugar coating” the effects of cancer. Hazel says,“May I see you again?" he asked. There was an endearing nervousness in his voice. I smiled. "Sure.""Tomorrow?" he asked. "Patience, grasshopper.” This quote shows how she is a current day teenager dealing with love and the day-to-day teenage drama. Green perfectly characterized these characters as your present day teenager from the way they talked to the silent thoughts they had inside their head. Green also incorporated reflection of real life into this novel when he was describing the effects of cancer. He told it as it was and never failed to leave out the disturbing details.“I'm a grenade and at some point I'm going to blow up and I would like to minimize the casualties, okay?” This quote shows how she is a current day teenager, but she could die at any given moment and Hazel is wise enough to understand the actual circumstances of her illness. Not only does he use reflection of real life to tell his story, but he also uses significant insight. Significant insight is a measure that claims good writing by revealing deep truths about human nature and deals with important issues. Significant insight is seen in this book through the lessons the reader takes away from it. For me, I learned that nothing turns out the way it seems. In the book, we see this when Augustus and Hazel travel to Amsterdam to get their questions answered by Peter Van Housen, the aunthood of Imperial Affliction. The reader expects Peter to be outgoing and helpful, but he end up being a cowardly drunk who is unwilling to cooperate.This novel taught me that everyday is a new day and no matter what we never know what each day will bring. With this being said we must find what we love and chase it. Hazel Grace loved two things; literature and Augustus Waters. She chased both of these things until the end when fate took its place.