Midway: Battle for the Pacific by Capt. Edmund L. Castillo | Teen Ink

Midway: Battle for the Pacific by Capt. Edmund L. Castillo MAG

By Continuum GOLD, Little Rock, Arkansas
Continuum GOLD, Little Rock, Arkansas
17 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Ever wonder what happened after the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941? Well, then you should read Midway: Battle for the Pacific by this captain of the U.S. Navy. He also wrote other war books including All About the U.S. Navy. He served aboard a ship during the war.

This particular book takes place in the Pacific Ocean between Hawaii and Japan, near the island called Midway. It supported no life and had no natural resources, but it was important to control because it provided enough space to build a triangular strategic airfield to help in the war. This airfield could launch a group of B-17s (Flying Fortresses) to send out on bombing runs.

Two of the famous names in this book are Admiral Nimitz of the U.S. Navy and Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto of the Japanese Imperial Navy. These two great fleet commanders were the brains behind the bronze. They steered their navies into war with strategic plans and formations. Of course, most of the battles took place in the air, but both sides used aircraft carriers to launch bombers and fighters.

Midway is crammed full of exciting information, including descriptions of each battle and machine, like the Japanese “Kate” torpedo bomber or the Allies' SBD Dauntless dive bombers. The book also includes photographs of navy crews and other war machines like the Allied carriers Yorktown and Enterprise. The author describes scenes like flak-filled skies and fiery ­explosions with clear detail.

The way this book is written will leave you in shock and make you feel as if you were on board an aircraft carrier with the action happening around you. It will make you want to learn more about our country's most famous war.

This is a fascinating story packed full of action and facts. Descriptive maps help shape a picture of battle plans and clever courses. I recommend this to anyone who enjoys war stories or is looking for some fun ­reading. People who like aircraft, ships, or who are WWII buffs will also enjoy this book. Who wouldn't enjoy a truthful account of our nation's finest warriors and their quest to ­protect our country?