Small Steps by Louis Sachar | Teen Ink

Small Steps by Louis Sachar

Small Steps is one of the best books I have ever read! In English class, we were assigned a genre to read a book from and I got Realistic Fiction. At first, I thought I had the worst genre in the class, but once I found this book, I had a totally different view on Realistic Fiction and once I picked it up I couldn't put it down!
There wasn't physical action in every page, but instead there was lots of emotional action going on. Another thing that made me keep reading the book was how well it was written. Louis Sachar writes in a way that makes even the most boring topic jump off the page.
The plot was complex, but Louis Sachar wrote it amazingly well! The story was about an African American teenage boy named Theodore, (His best friend named X-Ray, from Camp Green Lake, calls him Armpit, but that's another story) trying to make a living without letting anybody know about his stay at Camp Green Lake, a camp for bad kids, and his criminal record.
Theodore loves to talk with his friend and next door neighbor, Ginny who is ten years old and disabled, on daily walks, but after a while X-Ray tells Theodore about how selling tickets to a concert by a singer named Kaira Deleon will help make big money, and the trouble starts. Theodore decides to go to one of these concerts and through a miracle, ends up meeting the pop star singer!
Like I said, this book is a great read, and you will never want to put it down. If you want to read Small Steps, you should read the first book named Holes before it. They both relate, because in both of them, the characters have to deal with emotional feelings towards other people. I would rate this book five stars because of the author's brilliant way of writing. I strongly recommend to you this wonderful adventure of a story called Small Steps by Louis Sachar!