Rocket Boys | Teen Ink

Rocket Boys

November 21, 2013
By Shayna Ritchey BRONZE, Pennsboro, West Virginia
Shayna Ritchey BRONZE, Pennsboro, West Virginia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

: Homer Hickam is a 14 year old boy from West Virginia who grown from his destiny to become a coalminer. His dreams start to flair and he feels anything is impossible after Sputnik was launched, and he wants to build a rocket all the way to space. Homer “Sonny” Hickam needs the help from his peers to make all his dreams come alive. Sonny gathers a group of friends that have the right skills to build a perfect rocket.
: Further into the book Sonny learns what he needs to get the rocket to fly higher and higher with each try. He starts to get more attention with the entire towns support to follow. Along with that attention comes the love interest and publicity of their latest rocket updates.

This book is one of my favorites. It is easy to following and never a dull moment. Homer wrote this book with vivid details and lingered on exciting moments. He filled the book with inspiration from the most surprising of people and made me realize my motive of following my dreams. I finished each chapter with a better pace and a high interest. This is one of the most outstanding books I have ever read.

All in all, Rocket Boys is an interesting, outstanding, piece that is appropriate for most ages.