Enders Game by Orson Scott Card | Teen Ink

Enders Game by Orson Scott Card

November 21, 2013
By Kyran Kai BRONZE, Keeau, Hawaii
Kyran Kai BRONZE, Keeau, Hawaii
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Ender Review


Andrew “Ender” Wiggin, boy of the future and leader of society. About a week ago my classmates and I watched the movie Ender’s Game, we also read the book before watching it. I give a round of applause to the publisher of the movie and the author of the book. This is an amazing story of courage and faith. The book and the movie were very similar in dialogue, but had many different ways of putting the idea through the viewers mind.

In the book it featured very strong dialogue and had many parts that wouldn’t work in the movie. For example, the boys ran around naked in just underwear in the book, but in the movie they put them in space suits to make the movie PG-13. There were also many characters in the book that were in the movie, though here was one character that would not come to your mind when you saw him. Bonzo in the book came through to the reader as a very big, strong, and bossy person. This disappointed me a lot because in the movie he was very small and tiny. He did not match the characteristics of Bonzo in the book. Bonzo had acted like the Bonzo in the book but looked nothing like him.

That had disappointed me quite a bit, but there was a lot of things I felt enhanced the story. The setting in the book was very normal. It felt as if it was real life. The movie had about the same thing but I did not imagine the spacecraft to look like that. It was very big and round. From the book I imagined it too look very normal like a big satellite, but most of the spacecraft was the battle room where teams in the battle school fight each other as if it was buggers versus each other. The teams would battle using freeze guns. The movie brought through a lot of things I didn’t imagine in the book.

As I said earlier the book had very strong dialogue. The book had words like fart face and a lot more words that wouldn’t be necessary for a PG-13 movie. The words were very appropriate and made the story a lot funnier and smarter. In the movie Ender talked back many times to fellow battle school members and the commander of the school, Graff. The talking back caused a lot of conflict, which kept the story going and flowing without getting too confusing.

In the book there was a lot of things that were left out that would have enhanced the story quite a bit. In the book they just showed the conflict between Ender and Bonzo, but never showed how bad it was. The movie had them fight one on one and had Ender win by paralyzing Bonzo in the shower. This I feel enhanced the story quite a bit because it showed how Ender thinks. In the movie he said quite a bit that he was acting like his brother and whenever someone attempts to hurt him he eliminates them. That is the reason his brother did not make it through battle school. Ender felt that he was becoming his brother and did want to continue after hurting Bonzo. I am not going to spoil it so you have to watch the movie to find that out for yourself. Ender had done a lot of training and was trying to find out what his enemy was like. He was thinking if they were able to communicate, but no human would know. No human could get close enough to meet one. After many times of attempting simulations. Ender had his final test in the movie where he would try to defeat the enemy for good. After Ender had completed that he was told the final test was not a simuation it was an actual real-life occurance he was just controlling everyone, the whole fleet. After this Ender had figured it out that he was dreaming of the alien. Though he was not dreaming the Bugger was trying to communicate to him through his dreams. To find out what happens you need to watch the movie which I feel is better than the book. The movie enhanced the book by a mile.


The author's comments:
Read it