Foundation by Isaac Asimov | Teen Ink

Foundation by Isaac Asimov

By gingersnap007 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia
gingersnap007 BRONZE, Charleston, West Virginia

Isaac Asimov wrote The Foundation Novels, the first of which being Foundation. In addition to these, he has written The Robot Novels, Fantastic Voyage, The Gods Themselves, and over 470 more! Though Asimov is well known for his sci-fi, he is the author of many genres of novels. He was named a Grand Master of Science Fiction by the Science Fiction Writers of America and is adored by his readers, young and old. His Foundation Novels are considered a cornerstone of sci-fi.

Foundation is comprised of five short stories. The first one, The Psychohistorians, begins when young mathematician Gaal Dornick arrives on Trantor. Trantor is the center of the Galactic Empire and the entire planet is devoted to running the large government. As soon as Gaal leaves the spaceship, he is followed by a spy sent by the government because he came to Trantor to work with Hari Seldon. Seldon’s views are considered treasonous due to the fact that he predicts the fall of the Galactic Empire. Shortly after meeting him, Gaal and Selson are taken to court. They are tried for treason and exiled. Seldon and 150,000 other people (the Foundation) leave for the planet Terminus where their sole goal is to compile an Encyclopedia. The Encyclopedists plan to collect everything known to man and distribute it among the galaxy in the hope that it will shorten the years of barbarism after the fall of the Galactic Empire.

The second part takes place 50 years later on Terminus. The barbarous kingdoms surrounding this planet are no longer part of the Empire and the most powerful of these, Anacreon, wants Terminus for its strategic military position. The only man to see this danger, Salvor Hardin, does not have enough power to stop the invasion. Fortunately, a holographic recording of Seldon gives the solution to their problem: give Anacreon nuclear power (only the Foundation has had that for years.)He also told them that the true purpose of the Foundation was not to make an Encyclopedia, but to become the second Galactic Empire.

30 years later, the Foundation is much more powerful due to Scientism. Scientism is a religion where the priests are trained to restore old technology (which is regarded as holy and mystical.) Since they were trained by the Foundation, the priests believe that Terminus is the holy land. Every place that follows Scientism is basically controlled by them. The Anacreonian prince named Weinis sees the Foundation as a threat and tries to attack them. Unfortunately, all of his spaceships are tampered with and run by priests. The ships fail catastrophically, and the people of Anacreon revolt against their king for planning to destroy the holy land.

75 years have passed and Limmar Ponyets is sent on a mission to rescue his friend, Eskel Gorov. He is about to be put to death on the planet Askone for trying to sell nuclear household devices (this is a violation of Askonian laws and beliefs). Ponyets bribes the Grand Master (their leader) with gold made by a transmutation device (also nuclear and illegal). Ponyets also succeeds in fulfilling Gorov’s goal of establishing trade on Askone. He gives a councilmember the transmutation device with a recorder embedded and threatens to tell the government about his nuclear device. Ponyets forces him to buy all of the items on his ship. This means that he will probably sell the items on the black market. If many people have nuclear devices, they will want to be allowed to use them openly and strike against the government. The opening of trade on Askone is important because it will become susceptible to Scientism and furthermore under Foundation control.

Time passes, and the Foundations influence is growing. Unfortunately, 3 of its ships have disappeared in the Republic of Korell. Hober Mallow is sent to trade there, but mostly to learn about Korellian technology and the lost ships. Upon arriving, Mallow’s crew let in a Foundation missionary. Suspicious as to why he is in the middle of nowhere on a planet he is forbidden to go to, Mallow shoots him in accordance with Korell’s laws. Pleased with his reaction, the leader Commdor Asper Argo agrees to trade. After this trip, Mallow travels to what remains of the Galactic Empire. He is shocked to learn how much it has deteriorated over time. The Empire is full of corruption, rebellion, and outdated machinery. Once Mallow returns to Terminus, he is tried for treason for killing the missionary. The court is reluctant to let him live, but in the end Mallow proves that the whole event was staged by Korell. A few years later Korell becomes part of the Galactic Empire and attacks the Foundation. The Empire is trying to regain lost territory on the edge of the Galaxy, but fails in getting the Foundation. Korell depends on the equipment they distribute and has to give in to popular upheaval.

There are many interpretations as to the theme of Foundation, but in my opinion the main one is quite simply this: A civilization in which science doesn’t move forward will fail. The Galactic Empire stood for thousands of years and overcame every challenge. Its destruction came about due to the fact that there were no more scientific advancements (with the exception of psychohistory). The Foundation blossomed because they were a sophisticated island in a sea of barbarism.

Another thing to consider is Hari Seldon. He predicted the future and set the Foundation along its predetermined path. Every once in a while a “Seldon crisis” occurred. This challenge was overcome and sent the Foundation in a new and better direction. The entirety of the past and present was known only to Hari Seldon. If you were put in the same situation, what would you do?

This novel is certainly one of the best books that I have ever read! I would highly recommend this book for avid sci-fi readers of all ages. Though I must warn you, you might not be able to put Foundation down until it is over! Asimov brings you with him along the length of our galaxy, leaving you hungry for more. This novel is a timeless masterpiece about the light (and dark) in other worlds, the galaxy, and humanity itself.