The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini | Teen Ink

The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini

By RafaelaRowell BRONZE, Reno, Nevada
RafaelaRowell BRONZE, Reno, Nevada

Have you ever betrayed those who love you the most? In this haunting historical fiction novel, Khaled Hosseini reminds us of the power of guilt and the drive to redeem one self. Set amongst the cruelty and harshness of the Afghan war, The Kite Runner is sad yet inspiring, and sure to touch your soul and change your perspective on the sway of life. I know it did for me.
The reason The Kite Runner was competent of stirring my insides and conjuring such profound emotions had little to do with the story. Don’t get me wrong, a book would be nothing without a story. What I’m trying to say is that a story itself holds little power; it is the way in which it is written that truly evokes something.
Khaled Hosseini wrote his story through flashbacks in the first person narrative of Amir. Doing so allowed the reader to conceptualize Amir’s change over time, whereas telling the events from the present would not have given the reader this opportunity. His use of foreshadowing throughout the novel kept the reader vigilant as well as engrossed. It also created a sense of suspense that kept your eyes permanently glued to the book. Furthermore, the vivid and at times intense descriptions enabled the reader to feel Amir’s love, passion, pain, and regret. In culmination, I firmly believe Khaled Hosseini’s writing techniques turned The Kite Runner from an average story, into a truly moving and empowering one.
For those like me who are intrigued by exotic cultures and traditions, The Kite Runner offers a taste of Afghanistan’s exquisite richness, and opens your eyes to the world beyond America. As the novel progresses with the war, the reader is likewise exposed to the country’s poverty and suffering. Horrifying and sometimes disturbing passages make this a novel for mature readers. The harsh reality of Afghan life portrayed stood morbid and depressing. I’ll admit that there were some parts which were very difficult for me to read. That being said, I tribute Khaled Hosseini for my epiphany over how privileged I am to live in such a blessed country. I believe it is authors like him, and books like this, that truly impact the way we see our world. It is one thing for a book to leave you contented and regaled, but wholly another for it to shake your depths and expand your vision, as this book did for me.