The Warrior’s Path | Teen Ink

The Warrior’s Path

November 9, 2007
By Anonymous

The Warrior’s Path

By: Louis L’Amour





The Warrior’s Path by Louis L’Amour mainly takes place in the American frontier back when the U.S. was just beginning. Around every corner Indians and ruthless white men are kidnapping young women to sell as slaves. An old Indian, Tenaco, is sent after the Sackett brothers, Kin and Yance. Kin Sackett, a mountain man, is willing to challenge anyone. Kin and Yance set out to rescue Diana Macklin and Carrie Penny from their captors. Diana and Carrie are not the only ones who have been kidnapped. Several years before a young girl named Adele was also kidnapped. After he saves Diana and Carrie, Kin leaves for Jamaica to find and rescue Adele. Kin is the only one who volunteers to do this, while Yance stays back home to protect everyone else. As they get closer and closer to ending this madness their strength and courage will be put to an extreme test.
Louis L’Amour reveals the theme of never trusting anyone you don’t know throughout this rollercoaster plot. As new characters enter the story, such as Rafe Borgardus and Max Bauer, Kin must play his cards right so he can save his life and save the victims of the kidnappings. Every second Kin must be on the lookout for enemies attacking him. Kin is, without a doubt, an intelligent and rough mountain man. Everywhere he goes he is always prepared with “my musket in my hand, and in my belt two pistols.” The Warrior’s Path is filled with never-ending excitement. Louis L’Amour does a great job keeping the story moving so there is never a dull moment. Another way he captures the reader’s attention is the element of surprise. L’Amour will throw in the unexpected that turns the story upside down. Finally, the description of characters, places, and emotions is amazing. The way he tells the story is so clear it is as if you are watching a movie.
The Warrior’s Path is very similar to Hatchet written by Gary Paulsen. Both of these books include non-stop action from page one until the end. Both of the main character’s thoughts and actions are very similar and crucial to the outcome. The smallest mistake could mean death to these characters. The Warrior’s Path is very character rich. By introducing new characters it changes the setting, and adds conflicts to this fast paced novel that you won’t want to put down. This novel is for readers who enjoy westerns, fighting, and even some romance. You must read this book, you won’t regret it!
Rating: * * * *