The Call of the Wild by Jack London | Teen Ink

The Call of the Wild by Jack London

By Kage1 BRONZE, Mercer, Pennsylvania
Kage1 BRONZE, Mercer, Pennsylvania

One of the most outstanding books I have ever read is without a doubt, The Call of the Wild. In this Jack London classic, Buck, an ordinary St. Bernard mix is living comfortably in the Californian estate of a rich family. However, in Alaska a precious yellow metal has been found, and men all along the west coast are doing anything possible to get there, and this means stealing muscular dogs that could be used for transportation. Buck is stolen right from his owner by two greedy Frenchmen who are looking to get rich from gold in the cold north. Buck the dog must face abusive owners, other fierce sled dogs, and the harsh Alaskan winter in order to survive this hostile environment. In this captivating novel, Buck reconnects with his canine ancestors and remembers their ways. The ways of eliminating the weak, hunting in packs, and fighting to become the alpha male.

I cannot recommend this classic enough to people who want a story that will tug at your heartstrings, but never sadden you so much that you have to sign up for therapy. In this book, you get to witness a magnificent transition from loving housedog to fierce predator, and of course, many amazing action sequences throughout. This book is so great because of the strong storyline, outstanding descriptions, and the emotional roller-coaster ride that all readers partake in.