Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston | Teen Ink

Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

Zora Neale Hurston was a prominent writer during the Harlem Renaissance. Many of her books focus on African Americans, especially African American women, finding their own identity. In her book, Their Eyes Were Watching God, judgment is a reoccurring theme. As Janie, the main character, searches for her own identity she is judged. Throughout the book, Janie’s hair is used to symbolize how she deals with the judgment she receives.
In the beginning of the book Janie returns to town after running away with a younger man, following the death of her husband. As the women in town watch her in judgment, they talk about how her hair is too long and how overalls are not appropriate. Saying both are not appropriate for a woman her age. In this scene Janie’s hair is down and she later mentions she does not care what the women think of her.
Early in the book she marries Joe. Joe has big dreams and wants the town’s people to see him and his wife, Janie, in a certain way. Constantly worried about the people judging them he does not allow her to do certain things and makes her keep her hair tied back. This shows the lack of freedom she has not only within her relationship with Joe but also within herself. She is almost a tied to the judgment of others. When Joe dies, Janie immediately takes her down and burns all the ties. She no longer cares what the people in town think and has formed her own identity.
She later meets a younger man named Tea Cake. She is again judged for her relationship with a younger man. This time, the people do not only judge her but they also judge Tea Cake. They think he is only after her money, and warn her to stay away. Tea Cake does not care what anyone else thinks and encourages her to do the same. He thinks Janie should be able to do whatever she pleases and loves her hair. When Janie begins to work in the fields with Tea Cake, people judge her again, thinking she thinks she is too good to be working. Janie doesn’t let this bother her and continues to work. While working she is still wearing her hair as she pleases which again shows her own identity.

As in many of Hurston’s other books, Janie struggles to find her own identity. This while dealing with judgment from others. In the book, Their Eyes Were Watching God, Hurston uses Janie’s hair to portray how Janie is dealing with judgment from others. As Janie builds relationships with not only others but also herself, how she wears her hair also changes. Janie goes from being a free naïve spirit with little mention of her hair, to being a sheltered woman who is not allowed to wear her hair certain ways, and back again. Transforming into an individual and gaining her own identity.