To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee | Teen Ink

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee MAG

December 21, 2012
By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
146 articles 0 photos 2230 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou


Few novels can charm readers as easily as Harper Lee's one and only classic, To Kill a Mockingbird. In addition, even fewer American debut novels exist that have revolutionized and influenced our country more. Moreover, fewer first novels exist that have won so many coveted prizes. To Kill a Mockingbird was awarded the Pulitzer Prize in 1961, and then, in 2007, President George W. Bush awarded Lee the Presidential Medal of Freedom for being “a gift to the entire world.”

Because it is a playful book with a serious theme, To Kill a Mockingbird has achieved high praise and favor among readers of all ages. Its premise focuses on the children of a widower – who is also a lawyer – and their friend, as they become aware of social injustices and racism. Scout, Jem and Dill unknowingly open the eyes of a small Alabama neighborhood to the injustices against the black community.

Lee's prose is impeccable. Her descriptions and dialogue, with their Southern flare, are simple yet precise. Her characters – especially Scout Finch – are endearing and lovable from start to finish. Lee uses wit to deal with the themes of racism, rape, courage, coming of age, friendship, family, loss of innocence, and love. She touches the heart of every reader with To Kill a Mockingbird.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 23 comments.


on Mar. 22 2013 at 12:33 pm
Sparkle1pops PLATINUM, Colorado Springs, Colorado
31 articles 20 photos 342 comments

Favorite Quote:
"No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist."
- Oscar Wilde

I love the way you ortary ideas in this article. 

Mckay ELITE said...
on Mar. 20 2013 at 3:54 pm
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
146 articles 0 photos 2230 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Thank you! 

on Mar. 19 2013 at 6:23 pm
TheSkyOwesMeRain GOLD, Irvine, California
13 articles 1 photo 299 comments

Favorite Quote:
Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments which take your breath away.

You are only as strong as your weakest link.

We had to read this book for class, and I loved it! I think this review was very well-written! Strong conclusion :)