a million little pieces by james frey | Teen Ink

a million little pieces by james frey

By reviewer SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri
reviewer SILVER, St. Louis, Missouri

“My front teeth are gone, I have a hole in my cheek, my nose is broken, and my eyes are early swollen shut.” James Frey’s, a Million Little Pieces, is a thrilling story of James’s six weeks in rehab. This lacerating book keeps you o the edge of your seat and on the verge of tears. You can literately picture the whole thing without even trying: a tale of love, drug abuse, and insanity this is truly an amazing book.

At age 23, James is an alcoholic and has been for ten years and a crack addict for three. He wakes up on a plane bloodied and beaten not knowing how he got there or where the plane is heading. The place he ends up will change his life forever. He gets taken to a facility where he will be treated for six weeks. Not knowing if he has the strength to go on or the will power to quit his addiction, he goes through the days feeling tired and lonely. Every morning he stumbles out of bed and rushes quickly over to the bathroom to vomit uncontrollably, and then he gets on with the day. James doesn’t want to make friends, but somehow he finds it in himself to make them. In a spiraling downward course of events, James finds out the hard way of quitting his addictions.

Trying to piece together his past and himself together James is stuck between life and death, love and hate, and hopes and regrets. The facility helps but can it help enough to lure him away from his mind wrecking addiction? I promise you, a million little pieces is an amazing book.