The Dragons of Chiril by Donita K. Paul | Teen Ink

The Dragons of Chiril by Donita K. Paul

By LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon

For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel

I loved the DragonSpell series, so when I saw this one I just had to read it. It took me a little longer to get into then Ms. Paul's other novels, but not much. Before long I was adventuring right along with Tipper and her friends, laughing at their silliness and enjoying the fun.

It is difficult to find good Christian fantasy that doesn't either drive you crazy with preachiness or bore you with bland writing. You don't find either of these problems in this book. Ms. Paul's writing is intelligent and witty and she blends Christian values and allegory in with the story perfectly. Her characters are marvelously flawed and likable, even though most of them are not precisely human. It is so easy to praise their successes and cringe at mistakes you know you would probably make if you were in there place.

Full of humor and moments of peril, Tipper's is not a quest you want to miss. I recommend this book to children who want fun and parents who want quality. I also think this book would make an excellent read-aloud.