11/22/63 by Stephen King | Teen Ink

11/22/63 by Stephen King

January 25, 2012
By Weatherby76 PLATINUM, Newtown, Pennsylvania
Weatherby76 PLATINUM, Newtown, Pennsylvania
33 articles 34 photos 17 comments

Favorite Quote:
“The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.” – Douglas Adams


What if the Vietnam War never happened?

What if the civil rights movement failed?

What if a nuclear winter occurred?



What if John F. Kennedy lived?


In this fact-paced thriller, an average English teacher, Jake Epping, is caught up in the whirlwind of time travel, as he sets out to prevent the assassination of JFK. His friend Al, a diner owner struggling with cancer, shows Jake a portal back to 1961, five years before the assassination. As soon as he steps through, he becomes George Amberson, a real estate broker in the “Land of Ago,” a land of the Plymouth Fury, Moxie’s Orange Soda, and slower days. On Mr. Amberson’s epic journey from miserable Derry, Maine to small-town Jodie, Texas, he learns just how much the power of time is in his hands- and how much it is really frozen. “The past is obdurate. It doesn’t want to be changed.” He meets an estranged, non compos mentis, Russian expat, Lee Harvey Oswald. Soon Al’s obsession becomes his, as Epping risks all to change the course of history.


This book will have you clinging on to every word, as it opens your eyes to the possibilities, the darkness, and the power of time travel. What is truly remarkable is how King is able to make this idea real and tangible to the reader, through the wit and strength in his words. The portrait of a man struggling with the weight of destiny comes vividly to life, and absorbs you into the story. I highly recommend this book to everybody- it is a must-read!



If you could change the future, would you?


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 1 comment.


on Feb. 7 2012 at 5:31 pm
alanclarke714 PLATINUM, Kuna, Idaho
35 articles 0 photos 14 comments

Favorite Quote:
"...All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

This was one of the best books I've ever read! Good review!