Where the Heart Is | Teen Ink

Where the Heart Is

The first time I picked up this book I was sitting in English class hoping that the bell would ring. I am an avid reader but this book did not grab my attention.

Where the Heart Is by Billie Letts starts out as a pregnant seventeen year old named Novalee Nation is off the California with her boyfriend to make their fortune. But along the way Novalee is left at a Walmart in the town of Sequoyah, Oklahoma. So Novalee's superstition of the number 7's yet proved its self true. She is left with nothing but a new pair of shoes. Through the book she has a child in Walmart and makes a family of her own. While proving to herself that home is where your history begins.

This book looks at larger issues such as teen pregnancy, alcohol and drug issues. While also showing how family does not always mean you are blood related. While this book did not fit my taste it did appeal to many other people in my English class. I felt that this book was kind of confusing. Billie Letts writes this from two different peoples point of view. This allows you to not exactly hate one character or the other at first but I felt that Willy Jack's(Novalee's boyfriend) view was unnecessary. It did nothing to the story because it didn't add to Novalee's story or even add to the book. Another thing I didn't like the allusions or symbolism in this book. Mostly I had a problem with this because I had no idea what she was talking about.

Overall I felt like this book was confusing. So I would recommend this book to people who like to think about every little thing in a book and like to over analyze everything.