Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen | Teen Ink

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen MAG

January 6, 2012
By Sabrin Sidhu BRONZE, Valencia, California
Sabrin Sidhu BRONZE, Valencia, California
2 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Pride and Prejudice is a classic novel that beautifully illustrates the essence of true love. Jane Austen's quixotic approach to love through the story of Elizabeth and Darcy makes the audience rage with envy. The dynamic characters cover a diverse range of personality types. From the wildly absurd Mrs. Bennet to the diffident Jane to the opinionated Elizabeth, readers are sure to find a character to identify with.

The story centers on Elizabeth Bennet and her irregular fairy tale. She is one of five daughters from a well-respected family. Her world turns upside down, however, when Mr. Darcy – a handsome, arrogant gentleman – enters their social circle. Austen takes us through a series of twists and turns as both characters experience attraction, heartbreak, and passion. What is one to do in a society where status and prestige are valued more than true love?

The story is engaging at every stage. While strong characters carry the drama of the story, ludicrous personalities keep the reader entertained. In every aspect, Pride and Prejudice is one of Austen's greatest masterpieces. By illustrating the drawbacks of ego and prejudice, Austen warns readers against two common failings in love. Although it is not a thrilling, action-packed adventure, Pride and Prejudice is sure to make you smile.