Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt | Teen Ink

Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt MAG

June 17, 2011
By LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
LiederMadchen ELITE, Aurora, Oregon
132 articles 0 photos 25 comments

Favorite Quote:
For, I could not love thee, Dear, so much,
Loved I not honour more.
-- Richard Lovelace, quoted often by Baroness Emmuska Orczy in The Scarlet Pimpernel


This book is beautiful and strange and sad. It reads like a fairy tale, with a girl lost in the woods meeting a handsome, dangerous stranger. She convinces him to let her go for a day so she can find her true love, but what if her true love is nowhere to be found?

Keturah is sweet, somewhat naive, and occasionally downright foolish. She struggles for true love, not understanding that it is not something to be won but instead has to be given. Through the story, she grows in wisdom and eventually learns things she thought she already knew. Even as ­Keturah both prepares for and fights her death, she tries to protect those close to her. While looking for her true love, she helps others find each other. I love her selflessness.

As for the menfolk in the story, Lord Death is attractive in a mildly creepy way, and his son, John, is kind, caring, and likable. While Lord Death offers, well, death, John offers a life as lady of the manor. Ben, the village boy who thinks he must marry the Best Cook, is simply not too bright, but friendly enough. Since Keturah is the bravest, loveliest, and the best cook around, all vie for her affections.

This story is beautifully written, dramatic, and lyrical. I could see the dark forests and medieval villages as well as the many secondary characters. Though not funny, there were instances of dry wit and humor that made me smile.

Parts of the story were a little weird. Would choosing to go with Lord Death be a form of suicide even if you didn't technically kill yourself? That is only one of the odd philosophical questions you'll find.

Keturah and Lord Death was an interesting read, and I really enjoyed it, but I don't think it would be for everyone. It is frankly rather strange.