The Twice Born by Pauline Gedge | Teen Ink

The Twice Born by Pauline Gedge

By CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other
CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." --Douglas Adams

"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." --Marcus Aurelius

The Twice Born by Pauline Gedge follows the story of Huy, a young boy in ancient Egypt who is about to be sent off to school to learn to be a scribe. His parents could not afford school, but his rich uncle has paid for his education. At school, his easy success stirs up jealousy and ill wishes from his fellow pupils. He is killed because of a vicious attack by Sennefer, a boy who has bullied him since he came to school eight years ago.

But, Huy is resurrected by the gods and is tasked with deciphering the Book of Thoth, a book about the creation of the world. He is also given the powers of a Seer and his fame spreads, attracting the attention of Pharaoh Amunhotep. Before his campaign in Rethennu, Pharaoh Amunhotep consults Huy to see his fate. When Huy’s prediction is proved correct, he is pulled into a world of luxury that he never even dreamed of entering.

Huy, son of Hapu would become a man of legend, feared and worshipped throughout Egypt.

The Twice Born isn’t an action-packed thriller, but it is an interesting novel. Huy, son of Hapu was a real historical figure, although next to nothing is known about his younger years. Pauline Gedge has filled in that gap with a very plausible explanation. Gedge hooks her reader from the very first sentence and sucks them into the amazing world that was ancient Egypt. The cliffhanger ending will leave readers anxious for the next volume in The King’s Man trilogy, Seer of Egypt.

The Twice Born is an amazing book; I own the whole trilogy!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks, writer_girl15!  If you do read it, I hope you like it.

that sounds great! you made me want to go find the book and read it :)

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

How could you tell I love Egyptian novels? ;)  Well, yes, I do love them.  Especially the novels by Pauline Gedge.  If you read them, I hope you like them too.

Tink1350 BRONZE, Medford, New York

"Worries are like weights and weights keep you down, so let go of your worries and fly,"

You really like Egyptian novels don't you. Well, anyway, with your reviews, i might like them too. keep it up!

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Aw, thanks Shadowrider!  I'm glad you like my reviews.  And trust me, if you like Child of the Morning, you'll love The Twice Born.  Pauline Gedge is an amazing historical fiction writer.

SecretFlame PLATINUM, Portland, Oregon

"I have a life. I just choose to ignore it."
-one of my friends

Sounds like a great book. Every single one of your reviews I've read have been wonderful. The word choice and flow of the pieces are exemplary. It doesn't even feel like I'm reading, but that I've been sucked in and can't get out until I'm finished. 

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

I meant other than the resurrection, this was very plausible.  Besides, this is historical fiction.  Thanks for the comment!

IncorrectlyWired GOLD, Milford, Virginia

"No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness." - Aristotle

Umm, I don't know if considering a resurrection by the ancient gods "plausible." Other than that, this is a good review I guess. Heh, I don't know much about book reviews I guess.

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks, musicalmolly!  I love ancient Egypt as well and I loved this trilogy.  I hope you enjoy it.

on Jun. 11 2011 at 9:16 am
MollyDoubleU BRONZE, Minooka, Illinois

"So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past." - The Great Gatsby

I absolutely love ancient Egypt, so I think I would absolutely love this book! You did a great job writing about the book and explained things without giving too much away. I think I'm going to make a quick run to Barnes and Noble to check out this book.

Nice job!

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

"Freedom is the ability to not care what the other person thinks."

"Not all those who wander are lost" --JRR Tolkien

"When you are listening to music it is better to cover your eyes than your ears." --Jose' Bergamin

You're welcome!!!!!! :D

CarrieAnn13 GOLD, Goodsoil, Other

Thanks for the comment, JoPepper!  The Twice Born was one of the books that started my fascination (obsession?) with Egypt. :)

JoPepper PLATINUM, Annandale, Virginia

That book sounds really good I think I'll look into it!  Good Job  keep writing:))