Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare | Teen Ink

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

April 26, 2011
By Rozababe SILVER, Evergreen, Colorado
Rozababe SILVER, Evergreen, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is like an ice cream cone. Not really but I am super hungry right now!"- Me


Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare



First line: The demon exploded in a shower of ichor and guts.



The year is 1878. A killer stalks the dark streets of London, flaying his victims alive and removing their skin, leaving behind the stench of demonic witchcraft wherever he strikes. Seeking his identity, the Shadowhunters of the London Institute find one clue: a membership badge for a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club. Some of London’s richest and most successful men are members. But which of them is the killer, and what is his ultimate goal?
Meanwhile, sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray’s search for her missing brother — once a member of the Pandemonium Club — leads her into Victorian-era London's dangerous supernatural underworld, where vampires stalk the gas lit streets of London, werewolves slink in the shadowy lanes of Whitechapel, and warlocks hold masquerade balls for demons and Downworlders in opium-smoke-filled ballrooms. When Tessa discovers that she herself is a Downworlder, she must learn to trust her natural enemies, the demon-killing Shadowhunters, if she ever wants to learn to control her powers and find her brother. Torn between beautiful Will, a Shadowhunter hiding his true nature, and the devoted Jem, whose own deadly secret is slowly destroying him, Tessa must draw on all her strength to save her brother and keep herself alive in this deadly new world.



Clockwork Angel is great...if you want a laugh. This book had so much potential yet Cassandra Clare murdered every bit it had. It is the prequel to the bestselling Mortal Instruments series and they are so alike you can't help but scoff! The first thing you notice is the names, in Clockwork Angel you have Tessa Gray. In City of Glass you have Clary Fray. Next you notice the writing, although some places it is wonderful and lush in others it seems to be written by an ammature. As an example I am including a passage from the book:



"He coughed, and a great mass of blood poured out of his mouth and down his chin. He didn't seem to notice. 'Take care of Sophie, Will. Sophie is-' But Will never found out was Sophie was, because (Cough cough)'s hand went suddenly slack, and his hand fell away and struck the stone floor with an ugly thump."



Although the passage has wonderful imagery I could not help but laugh when I read it. The only good thing about this book, is the clothing and scenery. I would not recommend this book to anyone, simply because the plot is awful, the writing horrendous, and although it seems to be imposable Cassandra Clare seemed to plagiarize herself!


The author's comments:
This is a review from my book blog, mckinleysbookblog.blogspot.com

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 10 comments.


on Dec. 12 2011 at 4:35 pm
SpringAhead GOLD, Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
12 articles 0 photos 99 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't call me crazy, it drives me nuts!"








~Anonymous

Hi, I was just looking up book reviews for Clockwork Prince/Clockwork Angel and seeing what other people were saying about the two books with the release of Clockwork Prince. Also to get an idea of how to write a good book review. However after seeing yours I had to comment . . .

I agree with you, yet I don't. There are some odd similarities between characters, for example Clary Fray, and Tessa Gray and Will and Jace do seem alike in a sense, but it's not like the two books are exactly the same. 

I honestly don't see how you think Cassandra Clare's writing is horrendous and the plot of this book is awful. It almost seems hypocritical in a way because weren't you saying to someone in the comments how you really did love the Mortal Instruments books? Well if they're so similar (and I quote: "Cassandra Clare seems to have plagerized herself!") then how can you love one series and despise the other? 

Look, I'm not trying to like attack you or anything. I'm not a professional on book reviews. It's your opinion and you can say what you want, (1st admentment=freedom of the speech/press) I just don't understand why you believe what you do. And to be honest your book review doesn't do a great job explaning it either. 


Meko8195 said...
on May. 9 2011 at 10:40 am
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania
0 articles 4 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
The pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger; the hard lessons make the difference...and the difference makes it worth it.

:) I will. If it is the same i think i might put it down though. Lol

on May. 7 2011 at 4:54 pm
Rozababe SILVER, Evergreen, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is like an ice cream cone. Not really but I am super hungry right now!"- Me

Tayrl I am very sorry that you do not find anything I am saying the truth but reviews are one persons opinion. If you feel diffrently then by all means stick to that. I found the book was so bad that I almost stoped reading it. Like I said that is only my opinion.

Tayrl BRONZE said...
on May. 7 2011 at 7:53 am
Tayrl BRONZE, Rockhampton, Other
4 articles 2 photos 16 comments

Favorite Quote:
Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Although I did see a lot of similarities between Will and Jace ( Ihave read all four Mortal Instrumets books and Clockwork Angel) there were differences. Will is much more mysterious and, well, more of a jerk. And I definately don't agree on the book being terrible. I liked how it included characters that are still alive in the Mortal Instuments series (like Mangus Bane) and introducing characters, Like Camille, and having them show up in City of Fallen Angels. Have the prequel book does explain a lot and when I read it I noticed all of the cross-referencing that I didn't see before and mentally "ahhh"-ed qhen I figured it out. 

I think you are being to harsh on the book. "The plot is awful, the writing horrendus..." The plot was great in my opinion and completely different to the post-series. And horrendus writing? Pfft, really? I thought it was a fun and simple read. I think this review was too dramatic for a teen fiction story.


on May. 4 2011 at 3:40 pm
Rozababe SILVER, Evergreen, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is like an ice cream cone. Not really but I am super hungry right now!"- Me

Please do read it. I would love to know how you feel. When I say it is the same I mean that in City Of Bones Clary and Jace have a moment on top of the roof. In Clockwork Angel two people have the same moment on the top floor of the house. Within 10 pages of City of Bones. It was just so similar is so many ways that I had a hard time with it. Please let me know how you feel about it!

Meko8195 said...
on May. 4 2011 at 1:53 pm
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania
0 articles 4 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
The pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger; the hard lessons make the difference...and the difference makes it worth it.

The Summary of the book doesn't seem like her other books....so what do you mean by it being the same? and I guess ill have to read it for myself then. but i wont buy it now knowing what you think about it. I think i might borrow it from a library instead.

on May. 3 2011 at 8:51 pm
Rozababe SILVER, Evergreen, Colorado
7 articles 0 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is like an ice cream cone. Not really but I am super hungry right now!"- Me

Meko8195 I am sorry to say that it is not false. I loved the first three! But Clockwork Angel was one of the worst books I have ever read. But City of Bones/Glass/Ashes are wonderful!!!! I do not know if it was just that Cassandra Clare wasn't all the way invested in the book but I was very upset as to how the book turned out.

Meko8195 said...
on May. 3 2011 at 8:17 pm
Meko8195, Dover, Pennsylvania
0 articles 4 photos 96 comments

Favorite Quote:
The pressure makes us stronger, the struggle makes us hunger; the hard lessons make the difference...and the difference makes it worth it.

Seriously i love her writing. The mortal instruments series was the best "teenager" book i have read. Her books are soley focused on emotion and i love it. I seriously hope your reveiw on this book is false because if not i will be VERY dissapointed.

on May. 3 2011 at 6:58 pm
andreaxxnicole BRONZE, Jacksonville, Florida
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
I was sheep trying to tell the wolves that I wanted to live.

I'm still on the first book and all of my friends are on the the new one that came out and now they are spoiling the thrill and joy of reading nw genres and new bpooks. I usually read poetry or manga.

on May. 3 2011 at 5:55 pm
I got this from the library and then stopped reading after two sentences. (keep in mind, this is from someone who endured all 400-something pages of Twilight.) And I haven't even read Mortal Instruments. Blech...