A Mango Shaped Space by Wendy Mass | Teen Ink

A Mango Shaped Space by Wendy Mass

December 21, 2010
By emu1016 SILVER, Your Street, Pennsylvania
emu1016 SILVER, Your Street, Pennsylvania
9 articles 4 photos 5 comments

When I see an alphabet letter, I normally associate it with words that it's in, as do most people. But, a type of condition called Synesthesia can change all of that and the book, A Mango Shaped Space by Wendy Mass lets you see into the fascinating world of Synesthesia.

Mia Winchell seems like she is an ordinary teenager, she has friends, family, and a passion for art. Everyone always considers her a regular teen compared to her younger brother who records every time he has McDonalds, and an older sister with hair that's always changing. But, Mia knows that she secretly isn't as normal as it seems. Ever since she was scarred when she was younger, Mia has kept her ability to give letters, numbers, and sounds a color secret, until she started having trouble in school. She feels like an outsider and freak after her parents start taking her from doctor to doctor until they finally give her condition a name- Synesthesia. In this book, you can see from the perspective of her and see all the difficulties and triumphs that come with it.

I had chosen this book at first because I had thought it sounded good and in the end, it was a good choice. I found myself getting into the book and having a hard time putting it down because the plot was so different and interesting compared to anything I had read before in realistic novels. I liked Mass's writing style because it was overall relatable and seemed like it could have been the thoughts of a 13 year old girl like it was supposed to be. The book also really makes you wonder and think about how you see things and wonder what this condition would feel like. I also enjoyed Mia as the main character and thought she was extremely realistic.

I ended up enjoying this book immensely for its creativity, being able to be realistic and overall for its new, interesting, outlook on life. Its filled with humor, excitement, pain and sorrow but you will see how Mia changes for the better through it all. Mass's writing style somewhat reminded me of Sharon Creech but the plot is like no other. I highly suggest this book to anyone looking for a good read and I guarantee you will enjoy it.