Whirligig | Teen Ink

Whirligig MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

FromNewbery Award-winning author Paul Fleishman comes Whirligig, an insightful taleabout the interconnectedness of every person in the world. It is the story ofBrent Bishop, a distraught high school student on a repentant quest who findsencouragement and hope for his apparently bleak future.

Brent's family haslived in several cities in the past seven years, and he's had a difficult timemaking and keeping friends. While getting used to a new school in Chicago, Brentis tricked by his classmates and is hurt and humiliated in front of his class.Furious and betrayed, Brent makes the rash decision to kill himself by crashinghis car.

Brent does not end his own life. Instead, he kills the driver ofthe other car, Lea, another student at his school. Her mother asks something ofBrent that seems outrageous to his parents, but Brent, branded with guilt, findsstrangely appealing.

"This is my only request," Lea's mothertells Brent. "That you make four whirligigs of a girl who looks like Lea.Put her name on them. Then set them up in Washington, California, Florida andMaine - the four corners of the United States."

Althoughapprehensive, Brent sets out on his mission and finds that he has many lessons ofmaturity to learn.

Whirligig is not just about Brent's characterdevelopment, though. It takes a deep look at those affected by the whirligigsthat Brent builds in each state. Mysteriously, those who see and experience themare affected in incredibly powerful and life-changing ways.

This book isinsightful, with imaginative allusions and inspirational messages. It encouragesreaders to consider the mysterious links created by their acts and how theyaffect others.

i love this !

Bill said...
*This *you *appear *professional I hope you were being sarcastic.

chchchuck said...
THis should be better written, less spacing typos, it will make u appaear more proffesional.

kem86 said...
I think the author's name might be spelled incorrectly. Just wanted to let you know.