Black and Blue | Teen Ink

Black and Blue MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York

Black and Blue is the riveting and upsetting story of Fran Benedetto and her secret years of abuse from her husband.

At 19, Fran falls in love with Bobby Benedetto, but what begins as a passionate marriage soon turns violent. As the years pass, the abuse increases. They have a child, Robert, and when he is ten years old, Fran decides she cannot take the abuse anymore. Fran contacts Patty Bancroft, a woman who helps abused women escape their nightmare lives.

With Patty's help, Fran becomes Elizabeth Crenshaw. She and Robert move to a small apartment in Florida with hopes of starting a new life. Although still cautious, life eventually looks up for them. She makes a good friend and gets used to her job while Robert adjusts to his school. However, the horrible memories of abuse never really leave Fran and all her hope is shattered when ... well, I'm not just going to tell you!

Quindlen creates characters that come alive as you read. The novel encourages women to be strong and fight for their rights.

Quindlen also shows how at times true love can take wrong turns, and this is very realistic. Many young women in abusive relationships may be able to relate. Although this novel is heartbreaking, it is realistic and very worth reading.

i love this !