Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins | Teen Ink

Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

By Jillian SILVER, East Grand Rapids, Michigan
Jillian SILVER, East Grand Rapids, Michigan

“Catching Fire”, the second novel in Suzanne Collins’ Hunger Games trilogy has excitement on every page and each alluring word leaves you wanting more.

Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark, to almost everyone’s surprise, have won The Hunger Games and are now back in District 12 to live happily ever after. But much her surprise, Katniss is faced with more than she can handle. Her best friend, Gale, who she had to leave behind to take place in the Capitol’s cruel games, now avoids her and her new friend and sidekick Peeta has turned his back on her completely. Rumors of a rebellion against the Capitol are spreading and growing into beast that may not be able to be tamed. And to make matters worse, Katniss and Peeta may have helped create this new, monstrous rebellion.

Worries begin to flood Katniss’ mind as she realizes that she has turned many people against the Capitol and she is afraid she can’t stop them from, at the very least, tearing down the Capitol’s walls. But what worries her more is that she doesn’t even think she should even try to stop them. When it comes time for Peeta and Katniss to visit the other districts on their Victory Tour, every move they make is critical. If they can’t prove that they are in total and complete love with each other, the consequences could lead to something life changing.

Collins blends elements of action and drama along with romance and suspense to create a truly remarkable novel. Teens and young adults can easily relate and connect with the extremely realistic protagonists. Plot twists and surprises leap out at you with every turn of the page which add jaw-dropping drama and nail biting moments to the already exciting novel. After each chapter, a new question is introduced that makes the book even more impossible to put down. Catching Fire is a fantastic and exciting sequel to the Hunger Games.

SillyLilli23 said...
Fast Paced. Romance! Excitment thougout every word! The perfect book! Go Katniss! Peeta is a heart throb. Gale is a heart BRAKE! Prim is a cutiepie! LONG LIVE RUE! Down with Presedent Snow! I WANT CINNA TO DESIGN ME AN OUTFIT! Wish i had a cat like butter cup! :) GOD BLESS

Skaterkid797 BRONZE, Carrollton, Texas

"Don't think of the past it brings back tears don't think of the future it only brings fears just think of now and be happy."

You are 100% Correct It is fast paced and Thrilling!!

BellaEzrebetFang SILVER, Littleton, Colorado

"I write as I breathe because if I didn't I would die."

I agree entirely. I absolutely loved the first book, "The Hunger Games" and the second one is no less exciting. :]