Crank by Ellen Hopkins | Teen Ink

Crank by Ellen Hopkins

By TimeMachine SILVER, Mercer Island, Washington
TimeMachine SILVER, Mercer Island, Washington

It all unraveled when Kristina Snow, a high school girl with a bright future, goes to visit her dad: a smoker, drug abuser, and alcoholic.

The two haven't seen each other for several years so the first few days drag by in awkward silence. Then Kristina meets Buddy, a gorgeous young neighbor of her father. Wanting to get to know this handsome fellow, Kristina spends time with Buddy, who introduces her to crank (methamphetamine). Torn in two under the influence of the drug, Kristina stumbles upon Bree, the daring, devilish, impulsive side of herself.

Kristina/Bree returns to her mother and stepfather's house where the girl alienates herself from her friends, discovers a network of crank dealers, and makes choices she can never change.

Crank is written completely in first person in poetry format. Ellen Hopkins uses assonance, alliteration, and other poetic elements to draw you in. This powerful story will take you on a trip to the unfortunate path that some people venture today.

on Nov. 11 2011 at 10:59 am
ive never read it but my brother has and he said it was absolutely horrbile. of course its a matter of opinion, but i was just saying.

crazy123 GOLD said...
crazy123 GOLD, Gibsonia, Pennsylvania

when life gives you lemons.. make applejuice to avoid the situation!

that was a great review. I read Crank along with Ellen Hopkins other books and loved them all.

guitarist said...
A brilliant book and a precise review.

ikik said...
This book was good. Great review