Review on Macbeth | Teen Ink

Review on Macbeth

June 2, 2024
By Andrewhan11 PLATINUM, Jericho, New York
Andrewhan11 PLATINUM, Jericho, New York
35 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Shakespeare is probably the first name that comes to everyone’s mind when they hear the word “playwright.” One of the most unique features of Shakespeare’s plays is that some of them are tragic without having a happy ending. One of his most known tragic plays is the infamous Macbeth set in 11th century Scotland. Macbeth delves deep into the darkness of the human psyche, exploring themes of ambition, power, guilt, the ultimate fate, and karma. Although the play is set in medieval Scotland, the human themes and characteristics described and judged in the play strongly relate to today’s world politics. Like Macbeth, the main character of the play, all humans are by nature power-hungry, regardless of the time period they live in. 

At its core, Macbeth tells a story of a Scottish soldier who believes the prophecies of three witches and assassinates the Scottish king to take the throne, along with his controlling and power-hungry wife, Lady Macbeth. Although winning over the power, Macbeth feels guilty for what he did and is scared about the other parts of the witches’ prophecies, which forebode that someone else is going to eventually take over. This insecurity constantly worries Macbeth, making him send out soldiers to eliminate his competition. Eventually, as Macbeth's ambition grows, so too does his paranoia and guilt, leading to a downward spiral of violence and madness from which there can be no escape. Not too long after his wife’s suicide, Macbeth too loses his life in battle and faces his fate. 

One of the main themes of the play is a long-time debate: fate vs free will. Can we make our own destiny or is it predetermined? Although the witches tell Macbeth his future, could he escape it by making more thoughtful choices rather than simply following his predetermined destiny? I believe that the answer is yes. Although at first it might seem like Macbeth is fated to kill King Duncan, take over the throne, and later die at the hands of Macduff, there are many instances where Macbeth has a choice and seems to willingly take matters into his own hands in order to achieve his personal goals. A prominent example of Macbeth successfully defeating his fate is at the beginning of the play when King Duncan receives the news of the battle. The messenger says, "But all's too weak, For brave Macbeth - well he deserves that name! - Disdaining fortune, with his brandished steel Which smoked with bloody execution." According to this description, Macbeth is fated to lose in the battle, however, his determination and bravery allow him to beat the odds and come out victorious. This demonstrates how with enough effort and valor, people can defeat their destiny. On the other hand, when the witches inform Macbeth that he will eventually become the next king of Scotland, he chooses to follow this prophecy and kill the king himself. This is done not because he is fated to, but because it pleased his own ambitions. 

Speaking of ambitions, the theme of ambition is another major theme that's discovered throughout the acts of the play. When Macbeth first meets the witches, they tell him that he will eventually sit on the throne of Scotland. Immediately, his dormant ambitions ignite, and he makes up a plan to kill the king. This is evident when he says, “My thought, whose murder yet is fantastical, shakes so my single state of man that function is smothered in surmise, and nothing is but what is not.” This gives the readers an idea of how intense Macbeth’s ambitions are from the start. Ultimately, ambition and constant hunger for power is what kills Macbeth and his wife. 

Although Shakespeare’s language might be tough at times to read and understand, the play is a worthwhile and timeless classic that is worth the time to explore and dive deeper into the meaning of each word or phrase. The themes of ambition, guilt, greed, and cruelty all relate to modern day politics and even everyday life. Regardless of the century, Shakespeare's Macbeth explores long-lasting flaws of human nature. It remains a haunting and unforgettable exploration of the consequences of ambition and the corrupting influence of power. Whether on the stage or on the page, Macbeth is a work of unparalleled genius that will continue to entertain, teach, and inspire future generations.