Pride and Prejudice: An Examination of Feudal Gender Roles | Teen Ink

Pride and Prejudice: An Examination of Feudal Gender Roles

March 21, 2024
By HaiyueLi SILVER, Shanghai, Other
HaiyueLi SILVER, Shanghai, Other
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife” (1). In Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen shapes a sarcastic commentary of upper-class English society’s feudal recognition of women. Women had few legal rights and were dependent on men for financial security and social status. Hence, marriage was a necessary business from which stereotypes were formed and restrictions on women were derived. Nonetheless, Austen satirizes this phenomenon by portraying Elizabeth Bennet’s quest for a marriage based solely on love.

The novel opens with Mrs. Bennet’s fervent desire to see her daughters married to wealthy suitors. The arrival of Mr. Bingley in the neighborhood fuels her excitement, prompting her to envision a match between Mr. Bingley and her eldest daughter, Jane. However, through frequent interactions, Elizabeth Bennet’s attention is captured by Mr. Darcy, Mrs. Bingley’s friend who “was the proudest, most disagreeable man in the world” (6). Elizabeth’s prejudice against Darcy is deepened after the arrival of George Wickham, the son of Darcy’s father’s steward. He portrays Darcy in an unfavorable light, alleging mistreatment and betrayal. Meanwhile, Mr. Collins’ presence provides a contrasting image. His fawning over people of high status and conformity with social norms emphasize the absurdity of his character. Moreover, given the property laws and the limitation on inheritance prohibit any of the Bennet sisters from inheriting the estate, Mr. Collins, the cousin of Mr. Bennet, will inherit the Bennets’ estate. However, he “could not satisfy [him]self without resolving to choose a wife from among his daughters” (75-76). Mr. Collins’ perception of marriage is rooted in self-interest, contradicting with Elizabeth’s ideology, which explains Elizabeth’s rejection of Mr. Collins’ proposal.

As the plot progresses, Darcy’s sincere admiration for Elizabeth’s intelligence becomes apparent, ultimately leading to his proposal to her. Nonetheless, Elizabeth, taken aback by the sudden disclosure of Darcy’s genuine feelings, rejects him. The turning point in their relationship comes with the record of Darcy’s thoughts in a letter to Elizabeth. Darcy reveals the truth, unraveling the misunderstandings caused by Wickham, which previously fueled Elizabeth’s prejudice against Darcy. Elizabeth confronts her mistakes, particularly regarding her false belief in Wickham. Elizabeth’s prejudice collapses, enabling her to gain a clearer understanding of Darcy’s character. Simultaneously, Darcy recognizes how his pride is the primary reason why Elizabeth detests him and trusts Wickham’s lie. The mutual destruction of pride and prejudice becomes the foundation of their pursuit of love. Elizabeth agrees with Darcy’s second proposal; they overcome societal expectations and turn the core of their marriage into genuine love.

Austen criticizes sexism through three aspects. First, men possess superiority. Mr. Bennet adopts a detached approach to domestic life, leaving responsibilities to Mrs. Bennet. In fact, Elizabeth recognizes the “impropriety of her father’s behavior as a husband” (165). Mr. Bennet teases and ignores Mrs. Bennet’s requests. For example, when Mrs. Bennet urges Mr. Bennet to visit Mr. Bingley to foster a closer relationship, especially considering the potential marriage of one of their daughters, Mr. Bennet declines active involvement. Instead, he agrees only to “send a few lines by [Mrs. Bennet] to assure him of my hearty consent to his marrying whichever he chooses of the girls” (2). He distances himself from parental responsibility, demanding Mrs. Bennet to operate the family. In addition, Mr. Collins’ proposal also depicts the sexist societal norms. When Elizabeth rejects him, he responds with unwavering confidence, claiming that he is aware of the “established custom of your sex to reject man on the first application” (77). His demanding tone and arrogant assumption leave Elizabeth with little room for protest, highlighting the power dynamics inherent in marriage. Austen emphasizes that the determination of marriage is controlled by men, with women expected to be obedient. When confronting Elizabeth’s rejection, rather than reflecting on the reasons for his failure, Mr. Collins solely focuses on maintaining his reputation and pride.

Second, women are depicted as being ignorant of the existing power dynamics. Mrs. Bennet’s focus is on the exploitation of her daughters’ marriages as a social ladder, isolating herself from broader concerns. For instance, when Elizabeth reveals her love for Darcy to Mrs. Bennet, Mrs. Bennet’s congratulations solely revolve around the elevation in social status. Enthusiastically, she envisions the material benefits that Elizabeth will gain: “How rich and how great you will be! What pin-money, what jewels, what carriages you will have!” (266). She never asks why Elizabeth’s hatred of Darcy transforms into love, highlighting her prioritizing of material gain over happiness. Lydia Bennet, the younger sister, exhibits traits similar to Mrs. Bennet. After marrying Wickham upon her personal will, she remains oblivious to Wickham’s hypocritical character. Rather than recognizing the flaws in her marriage, she mocks her unmarried sisters, emphasizing the lack of awareness among female characters regarding the reality of marriage. The focus on early marriage as an accomplishment serves as a portrayal of women’s pathetic ignorance in society.

Finally, Elizabeth represents the awakening of women and plays a strong role in Austen’s characterization of feminism. Due to Mr. Collins’ identity as the successor of the Bennets’ estate, Elizabeth is expected to marry Mr. Collins. However, Elizabeth’s refusal in this crucial moment reflects her commitment to her own values. In rejecting Mr. Collins, she states, “You could not make me happy, and I am convinced that I am the last woman in the world who could make you so” (76). Her decision challenges the conventional norm that prioritizes societal expectations over personal fulfillment, emphasizing Elizabeth’s desire to restore her right to make independent decisions in her marriage. Moreover, Elizabeth rejects Darcy’s initial proposal because she recognizes the importance of understanding her true feelings for Darcy and confronts her own prejudice, which takes time. Not being swayed by Darcy’s wealth, she refuses to rush into a decision that may compromise her happiness. This approach portrays her desire for sincere love in a relationship.

In conclusion, Pride and Prejudice is a realistic portrayal of Old English society, criticizing sexist gender roles while advocating for the empowerment and awakening of independent women. Through the character of Elizabeth Bennet, Austen challenges societal expectations and emphasizes her wish for women to determine their own futures.



JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.