Origin of a Hero | Teen Ink

Origin of a Hero

This book written by Tracy West in  2019 is an adaptation of the first  two episodes of She-Ra and The Princess of Power.

It follows the story of a girl called Adora who is a cadet in the Horde. Just like in the Netflix show it is based on , the story is set in the planet Etheria.

Characters

Adora is the protagonist and was raised by the Horde leaders Shadow Weaver and Hordak.  personality: she is described as a brave, competitive, and noble warrior. Initially she believed that her “family”(The Horde) were heroes and that The rebel group known as the Princess Alliance, (the real good guys) were villains. Eventually she discovers that what she was told was a lie and that she is on the wrong side of the war , causing her to defect. Her appearance consists of  white skin,blonde hair and blue eyes. She kickstarts the plot after finding a magic sword in the woods. 

Catra is Adora's former best friend and adoptive sister. Her personality is that of a thrillseeker because she likes taking risks. Appearance: she has tan skin , brown hair and heterochromatic (two toned) eyes. She becomes a villain once Adora leaves the Horde.

Shadow Weaver is Catra and  formerly Adora's mentor/mother figure. She has a manipulative personality. Her appearance consists of a mask and dark hair.

She takes in kids and teens to serve as soldiers. She has looked after Catra and Adora sence infancy, but favores the latter.

Bow is a member of the rebellion. He has an optimistic personality.

Glimmer is Bow's best friend. Initially she didn't trust Adora and has a short temper and a stubborn personality. Appearance: she has pink hair.

My opinion: I like this book because it has a nice cover and the characters have interesting personalities. I think this is perfect for fans of the show. Adora doesn't figure out that the Horde are the bad guys until she sees it for herself which shows that she is a bit naive and easy to manipulate. I like the relationship between Catra and Adora because it has drama. The difference between Adora and Catra is that Catra knows the Horde messes with their heads and doesn't care if they hurt people as long as  Adora stays with them. Adora on the other hand, has morals , so when she discovers that the horde attacked a civilian town that she was told was a fortress she turns on them and defends the people , at the cost of her personal bond with Catra.

like it