All American Boys - Review | Teen Ink

All American Boys - Review

By Wlindee SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
Wlindee SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

A book with two different and diverse characters, experiencing a big event. How will they handle it? That is what I was wondering when I started reading All American Boys. 

This two-character experience was effective because I got multiple points of view, which means I got more than one option to a problem, and basically two stories throughout the whole book. I thought this point of view would be confusing, but when I started reading this book on the way down to Alabama, I got so into it, that when it turned dark then I used my phone as a flashlight to keep reading the first half of it. 

And I was amazed at the completely different ideas the two characters had about the happenings in the book as well as just the look on life. Daily life which is why I think the ideas are completely different. This made the book very realistic because the background of the characters and how they were raised for example played a key part in how they acted in the main parts of the book.

The calmness in the city seemed to flip overnight and everyone's mind was one thing. Even the weather seemed to be affected by what has been going on in the real world. The two different outlooks between characters kept me on my toes and I couldn’t predict anything throughout the book. Seeing what occurred after the big event was interesting. Even after another “surprise” showed up, the twists and turns throughout the book were very fun. 

Another underrated piece of the book in my opinion was the setting. The two different parts of the city go perfectly with the two characters. The school along with the different types of houses and cliques explained throughout the city definitely gets the racism idea across and the different ways that the events are perceived.

Personally, I think that some more explanation on the background characters, even a little bit, would deepen the book and especially the main events. This would strengthen the main events by not leaving us in the dark as much. Some endings to parts would improve greatly if we just had a little more information on some of the characters.

I strongly recommend this book to anyone who needs a book to read and relax. I knew going into it that racism was going to be an issue but the way the authors took it was different, but in a good way. I thought it was going to be a racial issue, then having racism play a big part in it and having the book mainly focus on the negatives, but it was quite the opposite. This book focused on how to fix it as well as how to stop it in the future. The ending was a little bland, and below-par compared to the rest of the book, but it is a great read overall!

I read this book over the last few weeks and really enjoyed it. Read this review to learn more about what I thought!!