Cuckoo in the nest- Michelle Magorian: A review | Teen Ink

Cuckoo in the nest- Michelle Magorian: A review

By Ana_K PLATINUM, Nyc, New York
Ana_K PLATINUM, Nyc, New York

It is impossible to break the law. We can only break ourselves against the law.

They say don't judge a book by its cover. I don't believe that, and I don't think anyone does, why else would there still be book covers then? Sometimes you realize that the world is just so full of hypocrites.

Right, moving on to my review: I found this book in my school's library, it's cover, the contrast of it, enticed me, which is how I have come to write this review.

My rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

A boy. A theater. England.

What's not to like, the book covers it all: struggles with family life and wages, stereotypic judgment, for the love of theater and pure passion. Britain in the post-war 1940s, a 'pish-posh' towns boy Ralph, who aspires to be an actor.

The reason for my rating: why four? Well, it was because I would have liked more character development, there was definitely progression of Ralph's personality, but the others, barely any. At times, the story felt a bit 'frozen' and 'flat'. What I liked most was the authenticity of the book, the Britishness, the slang: the personality of the whole book was astounding, that factor was the one that earnt this book 5 stars.

- Anna K.