Boost Book Review | Teen Ink

Boost Book Review

November 17, 2022
By tessaboomhour BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
tessaboomhour BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Boost, by Kathy Mackel, is a fantastic piece of writing and a great page turner. Strong and determined, 14-year old Savannah Christopher is a super tall new student and an amazing basketball player. She's always either on the court, at her barn, or at school. She joins an 18u team and overcomes lots of struggles with/against her new teammates. She starts to catch feelings for an older boy and soon finds out that there is a heartbreaking truth. Learning to trust and the importance of family, Savannah gains lots of new character traits but then learns it is hard to keep them after her trust gets broken by somebody she had been very close with. Savannah's older sister, Callie is very dramatic and secretive which always makes conflict between the two of them. Callie is faced with lots of stress to lose weight on her cheer team and she will do whatever it takes to get back in shape. Once Savannah is accused of having steroids in her gym bag, she must show that she is clear and discover who did this. 

This amazing piece of realistic fiction is set in modern day time and can be very relatable to many different people. I loved reading about her life on the court and off the court because I can understand where she is coming from. This book is very good for all kinds of readers, even to adults or kids who don't read as often. Kathy Mackel keeps you on the edge of your seat, pulling you in to read what's next which is why this book is so outstanding. 



JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 0 comments.