Little Women Review | Teen Ink

Little Women Review

By andrem2009 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
andrem2009 BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan

Little Women is a compelling tale of hardship, sadness, and family value. Author, Louisa May Alcott, did an excellent job writing this historical fiction; it does a fantastic job capturing the dreadful feeling the protagonist Josephine March (“Jo”) has.  The story takes place in Concord Massachusetts, it follows the story of four sisters (Meg, Beth, Jo, and Amy) the main protagonist is Jo through a heartbreaking journey of perseverance and family. While there is no antagonist in Little Women I chose to think that the girls are the protagonists and their own antagonists because the story is very person vs. self, I think this because the characters all at the same time are going through heartbreak with there father at war, and all there own embarrising or difficult problems. 

Little Women is a good book, it's a story of family, a story of hardship, and a story of overcoming. I think it was good except parts of it drag on for far too long, personally, it seems like the characters could've just said what they had to say sometimes instead of dragging it out. I liked Alcott’s style, the way she keeps what she's saying a little bit vague is very interesting, she never gave everything away with one character but instead used all the characters over the span of the book to uncover certain ideas or the main message. I think most people over the age of 12 would like this book, it isn't very relatable, but it's very entertaining and enjoyable to read. I highly recommend this book to everyone, even if you want to try it, it's worth a shot!