The Book Review for The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas | Teen Ink

The Book Review for The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas

By Selina_lay061008 GOLD, Shenzhen, Other
Selina_lay061008 GOLD, Shenzhen, Other

This book strongly condemns the thinking and behaviors of Nazism.

First of all, condemning their desire to dominate and rule cruelly. The main character Bruno and his family is the best epitome of the society as a whole. His father, a typical Nazi, dominates not only the Jews, but also his family——they had no idea who were the people they sometimes saw, wearing stripped clothes. And what I meant by the cruelty in the Nazis thinking, was being shown from every single fraction of the story: the punishment, the disappearance of hundreds of thousands of grown men, the poisonous gas room, the huge difference between a normal boy and a Judaic boy.

Secondly, condemning their behaviors specifically towards children. When the “noble”, “honorable” boy in a Nazism family stepped into the barbed wire, dressed in stripped pajamas, none of the Nazi soldiers recognized him. The most taunting parts are that the two little boys didn’t know they “should” be different and separated, they didn’t know that one of them was seen as honored, the other filthy. They didn’t know that the boy’s father would probably be dead, they thought he simply disappeared. They didn’t know that many, many Jews were being killed by mephitis, they even thought they would be able to go home after the rain. The Nazis cruel behaviors are clearly shown.

Nobody should be killing thousands and thousands of people so ruthlessly, even if the ones killed were evil, not to say they were kind and intelligent people.