The Book Thief by Markus Zusak | Teen Ink

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak MAG

By gracez_ BRONZE, Calgary, Alberta
gracez_ BRONZE, Calgary, Alberta

Less is more ~

There are few books in the world that have the power to change your life. The Book Thief is one of these books. After completing this novel written by Markus Zusak, I was awestruck by the power of words and how the author immaculately intertwined the ideas of hope, love, and sacrifice onto the pages.

The skillful use of figurative language is one of the elements that brings the words on the page to life. Personification is ever-present throughout this novel, as Zusak displays his brilliant use of giving inanimate objects human characteristics: “As the book quivered in her lap, the secret sat in her mouth. It made itself comfortable. It crossed its legs” (170). In addition, the human characteristics and qualities that Markus Zusak gives the narrator, Death, incredibly transforms a grisly subject into a triumph that enables the reader to embrace it. The narrator uses wry humor, which can be very amusing at times. For instance, on page 316, Death comments, “It kills me sometimes, how people die.” This use of satire is one of the many instances of Death’s wry humour that allows readers to embrace such a dark topic. Zusak’s inventive language use and often short and poetic sentences allow him to describe the world with powerful, potent choices of words and phrases.

Although there are numerous acclaimed novels focusing on the story of a child during World War II, the distinctiveness of The Book Thief allows it to stand out from other historical fiction novels. With the narrator being the inevitable and horrifying element of every individual’s lives — that is, Death — it allows for a perspective on the story of Liesel like none other.

At first glance, Liesel’s life story may seem like any other coming of age story — being terrified by her first encounter with Death, then gaining strength and understanding as she grows mature. But when you look closer, it is a very complicated yet immensely potent tale that describes how Liesel builds up a character. Death reveals Liesel’s inner thoughts and emotions in a way that cannot be done by any other narrator. Zusak has provided remarkable insight into the human psyche through his novel. The Book Thief is such a triumphant yet tragic tale that is masterfully written.

This review was written as part of my final project for my English course in my sophomore year. Selecting the right novel for this project proved to be a difficult and arduous task, yet this was an immensely powerful novel that I cannot recommend enough. This novel is one that I will come back to time and time again.