We Were Liars Book Review | Teen Ink

We Were Liars Book Review

By alh218 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
alh218 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

With a tragic explanation of the protagonist’s dad leaving her and her mother moving  to Colorado with another woman, the book We Were Liars hooks the reader at the first page. 

Main character Cadence Sinclair’s life story is anything but simple. Her father recently moved away, and her summers, which she spends peacefully at Beechwood island, took a turn for the worse in her fifteenth summer there. Cady suffers an accident and must put the pieces together to regain her memory since she now suffers from a traumatic brain injury. 

E. Lockhart, the author, describes every character in such detail that you cannot help but adore every one of them. The Liars in particular, a group of cousins and friends, Mirren, Johnny, Gat and Cadence, represent so much hope and happiness for their futures. The Liars feel so deeply about destroying the family's drama forever, in order to gain a loving family. Throughout the plot, the complicated Sinclair family issues are more easily understood, and described to where the reader can feel for the family. 

By the end of the book, there is something for everyone to relate to, such as friendships, family, love, and healing. Every page gets more and more interesting, with more intrigue to find out what happens next. After all of the flashbacks, the ending pulls it all together, in a way the readers would never expect.