Animal Farm | Teen Ink

Animal Farm

February 20, 2022
By Godala PLATINUM, Durgapur, Other
Godala PLATINUM, Durgapur, Other
36 articles 1 photo 1 comment

Animal farm describes the events in the animal farm leading up to the total dictatorial ship. All the animals of the Manor farm protest the inhumane treatment of their master after being incentivized by a very venerable pig called Old Major. Shortly after Old Major dies, young pigs called Napoleon and Snowball lead the rebellion and dispelled their master out of the farm. Napoleon exiles Snowball, accusing him of different felonies. The supremacy of Napoleon increases, and his word becomes the ultimate. He upsets the animals with his authoritarian rule and alters the farm's initial motto from all animals are equal to all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others and allies with humans for their benefit. In conclusion of the book, all the animals can no longer distinguish between humans and pigs.

George Orwell (Eric Arthur Blair) is one of the greatest writers. He started his career with book reviews before authoring great classics like animal farm and 1984. He did not want to produce a work of art but wrote because there was some lie he tried to expose, some fact he wanted to draw attention to. His initial concern was to get a hearing. Resources say that George Orwell saw people suffer in the Spanish civil war, a duel between fascism and democracy. He saw his familiar and cherished ones tormented to death by Soviet forces. These experiences influenced his opposition to communism and totalitarianism, which inspired him to write animal farm. Many publishers did not accept publishing the allegorical novella because of the controversial subject of that time. In 1944, he lost the manuscript when Germans bombed his London house.

The lives of the characters of this book run parallel to the contributors of the Russian revolution. Old major, an aged, revered pig, gives the idea of rebellion to animals, an allegorical representation of Karl Marx and Lenin. The ideology of Old Major is what gives the animals the strength to stand up for what they want. George Orwell hints ironically that even he wouldn't have been corrupting free as he while speaking to animals, gets up on a higher platform indicating his superiority. Squealer misuse language to vindicate Napoleon's doings. He teaches uneducated animals how four legs are good and two legs are bad. He also uses unnecessary vocabulary to perplex the animals. His position is like that of Vyacheslav Molotov. The faithful working class were exploited through generations; this is depicted through the character of a kind, loyal, strong cart horse who believes that everything can be solved through hard work, but at last, he is sold to a knacker for Napoleon to buy alcohol. This depiction examines how superiors cart us off after the end of their selfish usage. Snowball, the pig, exiled by Napoleon, is a bit liberal. But Orwell again hints at his future corrupt attitude. He ironically delineates snowball stealing milk and apples. His life runs parallel to Trotsky. Through a wise, intelligent donkey, Orwell conveys that life goes on as bad as it is now. The world would exist in the same condition, whether it be the fascists, socialists or communists in the ruling because everyone comes to the same point, where they will deceive each other, especially the downtrodden classes, for their selfish pursuits.

An article describes that Orwell not only portrayed the conditions of workers through animals but also the plight of animals. The animals are oppressed by their master that they remove even the last trace of his hated reign. In a sense, how we treat animals and how the oppressors treat the oppressed is just the same.

This book is not only about the Russian revolution but also pertinent to any political conditions where fascism and terror exists. In that aspect, this book is far ahead of its time; it is relevant to society until the existence of life.