Under the Greenwood Tree | Teen Ink

Under the Greenwood Tree

January 31, 2019
By nismasaeed SILVER, Rawalpindi, Other
nismasaeed SILVER, Rawalpindi, Other
6 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Under the Greenwood Tree is a novel written in the early summer of 1871 by Thomas Hardy is not only what this enticing title suggests.The genre of the novel includes Fiction and Romance.
It is a novel that brings with it an engaging subject which seems to be forgotten by most of us in this present era of materialism.
First chapter unveils the protagonist 'Dick Dewy'. The author made the readers understand the importance of reality based things. Hardy describes 'Dick' as an ordinary man with ordinary looks which is amazing if understood well. Probably, prince charming has no chance. Other chapters include several major characters including the Tranter ( an irregular carrier) who is dick's father, Dick's grandfather and Miss Fancy day, with her light coquettish nature has managed to win the hearts of the readers. Farmer shiner being a wealthy man is an actuality based character and the antagonist of the novel. Church and Choir are the two important elements described in the novel. Hardy has explained the scene of his village which takes us back to the times when emotions,faith,religion and thoughts were pure and true. By preserving the architecture and culture of his time, Hardy has made sure to explain the difference between today's time and past. Both Dick and Shiner fall in love with Ms. Fancy day. Hardy has not failed to maintain the romantic aspect with his mind blowing writing, when Farmer shiner addresses to Fancy Day,"You don't accept attentions very freely."
and Fancy Day responds to this and says,"It depends upon who offers them".
The novel has a beautiful chaos with rich vocabulary.
Under the Greenwood Tree being written in 19th century explains the aspect of industrialisation when it began to take place which has, if not ruined, at least disturbed lives without us acknowledging this thing.It holds a great significance in English Literature.
I think this classic tale must be read to appreciate the significance of genuine and classic content.


The author's comments:

Industrialisation is one thing which has snatched the purity and originality of relations. This novel is a great tool to understand this point of view. In this world of materialism, here's a little review of a novel which will give you a lot to learn.