The Amazing Animal Society | Teen Ink

The Amazing Animal Society

By tonylin112233 BRONZE, Xiamen, Georgia
tonylin112233 BRONZE, Xiamen, Georgia

Summarily, Animal Farm, written by George Orwell is, as everyone knows it to be, an anti-utopian novel. It portrays a story on Manor Farm, and it is full of struggle and conflict. All animals expel the farmers at Manor and the animals take the place of humans. They are animated in this story, and they take hierarchical roles and impart rules called the “Seven Commandments” which claim that animals are equal and list what animals should and should not do to protect their own rights – only this becomes skewed and are changed by the leader’s whims. The novel turns topsy turvy as humans attack, the windmill, the main source of survival, is broken and the animal leaders’ conflict with one another. Unfortunately, because of such imbalances, the animals become unequal again at the end.

From my perspective, this book is ironic and, in actuality, represents human society. The pigs make promises that every animal will be equal and will give them better lives. It is like the propaganda that some countries leaders show to their people. They draw pictures of a good life and hopeful future, but it is unrealistic and utopic. The truth is, the pig leaders make decisions above people and have more rights than people. Let’s look back at Snowball. He has differing opinions from Napoleon, however, every bad thing that happen in the farm is blamed on him. This also happens a lot in history, for example, Edward Snowden, who announced the world that United States were wiretapping their people, was hunted by the US government.

Also, the sheep in the novel represent the ignorant people that follow their leader without thinking. In the “Seven Commandments” on is “four legs good, two legs bad”. This commandment becomes the sheep’s slogan and was shouted out loud every day. However, at the end of the book, when the pigs and dogs got power above others, they started to walk on two hind legs. None of the animals dared to say “four legs good, two legs bad” again. Instead, the sheep, who advocated this slogan the most, change their slogan into “four legs good, two legs better”, automatically. I was so surprised when pigs and dogs walked on their hind legs, but the sheep were really shocked me by their lowline.

Animal Farm is a very ironic novel, it mirrors real life, and I highly recommend it.