The Fame Game | Teen Ink

The Fame Game

By SakuraiMinako BRONZE, Houston, Texas
SakuraiMinako BRONZE, Houston, Texas

"Give things your 110%"-Taylor Lautner

There are many children nationwide that all carry the same dream of becoming the next Disney superstar, television personality, movie star, or even You Tube star, but only a handful of them actually make it into the entertainment business. Being a model myself, I personally know how hard it is to reach for a dream that is close, yet so far, and having constant negativity thrown towards you from various agents/ agencies that tell you “no”, but if only parents knew of the various agencies that are spread across the United States that are only out for the Money and not the welfare of the child. Yes, agencies such as John Robert Powers (IPOP), Model Productions, Audition America, and Barbrizon, but are nothing more than acting schools, that promise to make your child a superstar, but in reality another student to their acting/ modeling schools; some not even operating under a business lisence. Most of these show scam businesses advertise on radio stations/ children’s channels, or even in shopping complexes that advertise a casting call/ competition that is supposedly to be free of charge, but really ask for tremendous amounts of money on the spot. These are the agencies to steer clear of, but which agencies are the ones to look for? According to the SAG/AFTRA site, there are quite a few in the Houston area that are available for you to submit an application to begin the auditioning process, but before you do so, there are many things that you should know. Below are some of the misconceptions that many people think is true about the entertainment industry, but by talking to my agent and friend Judy as well as other reputable people in the biz, I’ll help you distinguish which is fact and which is fiction.
Misconception 1: “My Agent/ agency will provide my headshot for me free of charge”
Many people believe that if they are wanted in the agency, the agency/ agent is responsible for the person’s headshots/ photos to add to their resume, but according to my agent/ manager Judy at One Source, she states otherwise. “The person is responsible for providing their own headshots,” says Judy while discussing the matter with her. So the only thing that parents are responsible for providing are the headshots of the child upon arrival on their audition, which gives the casting director an idea of who your child is, as well as how far your child is experience wise.
This misconception has two answers. If you choose to be represented through an acting school that provides your child workshops/ training, you will have to pay the price that is listed. Most people confuse schools such as John Robert Powers, to be an agency, but really they are an school system for actors to receive training, but does not guarantee your child fame and fortune.
Renee Stewart, mother of BooBoo Stewart (Seth Clearwater in Twilight), told me exactly whom to talk to and directed me where to go. “Go to the Screen Actors Guild site, and there you can search for legit agencies in your area. If they aren’t on the list, then the agency is a scam,” replied Stewart to our lengthy discussion. So instead of searching for an agency on a search engine, try using the SAG/AFTRA site, which is the actors union!

So there you have it; all the information needed for you to start your child in the show biz successfully. Good luck to you, and welcome to the Fame Game.

As an novice actress/model whom been recently signed with an agency. I know personally, what its like to be kept in the dark on exactly where to go to, to jumpstart an acting career. So by personal experiance, I wanted to entertain, as well as educate other children or teens whom are in the same circumstance I was in and help them get a little idea on how to get their foots into the door.