The Moongate | Teen Ink

The Moongate

June 7, 2024
By JD5683 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
JD5683 BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

July 4th, 2023. The bright sun shone in my eye. The wind moved my hair back and forth. The clear water was flowing. Me and my family were at the Hyatt Ziva Cancun resort. My cousin had planned this vacation with us and we were all excited to be here, finally getting some time off. The chatter of the other vacation goers filled my ears. I could hear the waves crashing into the rocks.


While we were excited to be on vacation and be somewhere with a beach, the thing my family was most excited about was the food. The resort offered us free food as long as we ate inside the resort. There were many restaurants to choose from. My family was particularly keen on trying the Asian Fusion restaurant called The Moongate. My parents didn’t like trying new things, so this was something that they were comfortable with. When it reached dinner time, we were allowed to eat there as it just opened.

 

When I sat inside, I was glad to see that some of the items on the menu were familiar to me. I liked eating sashimi, sushi, and yakisoba. One thing caught my eye, though. In their dessert section, they had a chocolate lava cake. I enjoy chocolate a lot, so this was something I definitely wanted to try after our meal.


When we finished our dinner, we ordered the chocolate lava cake that I had my eye on. When it came out, it was presented very well. It was a round chocolate cake that had a hole in the middle to put the vanilla ice cream. Along with that, there were small pieces of chocolate on top of the ice cream. I took a piece of cake with my spoon and gave it a try. It was delicious. The cake was warm and felt like a warm hug. The ice cream paired well with the cake. The small pieces of chocolate on top gave everything a nice crunch. This was one of the best desserts I’ve ever had. We all loved it so much we decided to order three more. The serving sizes here were small, so it wasn’t hard for us to finish everything. 


July 8th, 2023. We had to head home on that date. The end of my vacation was upsetting. This was partially because I had to head home, but mostly because I knew there was nothing that could taste like the chocolate lava cake I had in Cancun. If I ever get to head back, that’s the first thing I would get again.