The Perfect Slice | Teen Ink

The Perfect Slice

By 5devries BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
5devries BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

I went to Joe’s Pizza for a classic New York slice. The restaurant was small and cramped. My first thought was that I would be underwhelmed. But the line to order was out the door, which gave me hope. 

The line moved quickly, so I got inside in 10 minutes. I appreciated that they were efficient with taking customers’ orders because I had a tight schedule that day. 

Once I got to the counter, I could see they were making fresh dough and pizzas were coming straight from the oven. I was grateful to see that they didn’t have preservatives in their food. 

I got my slice of pepperoni pizza shortly after I ordered. But looking at the pizza, the cheese was greasy, and the crust looked overdone. Growing up, my family made homemade pizza constantly, so greasy pizza was not something I enjoyed. 

Although the pizza didn’t look as fresh as I thought, the first bite proved me wrong. The crust was perfectly thin—crunchy on the outside while still soft on the inside. There was a perfect amount of cheese—it wasn’t overwhelming but also didn’t just taste like the sauce and the pepperoni had crispy edges that added a slight crunch to the gooey cheese. 

The slices were double the normal size you would get from any other pizza chain. They only have a few different kinds of pizza which was slightly disappointing. They had a fair price for such a large slice of pizza. Although the line was long, it was worth the wait. I left feeling satisfied and impressed with how well the small business ran. They have updated their menu to cater to modern wants and needs like salads and gluten-free options. This gives a welcoming feel to everyone who wants to enjoy a small part of New York. 

Ever since I was young, making pizza has always been a tradition in my house, so finding a pizza shop that fulfilled my expectations has been hard. When I found Joe's Pizza, I knew I had to tell my sister about it. She has always wanted to try an authentic New York pizza, so I was excited to share my experience with her. I loved that it was a family-owned place to keep traditions going.