The Man by Taylor Swift | Teen Ink

The Man by Taylor Swift

By MaggieLiu BRONZE, Warrington, Pennsylvania
MaggieLiu BRONZE, Warrington, Pennsylvania

On August 23rd, 2019, Taylor Swift released her song called, “The Man.” As a woman who has been in the music industry for a while, the song was written through some of her experiences going into how other women are treated as well. “The Man” includes upbeat tempo, interesting rhythm, and great lyrics. This song may be heard as a normal pop song but taking a deeper dive, this song has more serious issues to discuss.  

“The Man” discusses problems in society between women and men. For example, she writes in her song, "They'd say I hustled, put in the work, they wouldn't shake their heads and question how much of this I deserve." The main idea of why this song matters now is because Taylor explains how women and men are treated differently by showing that if she was a man, she wouldn't be questioned about her success or her choices.

As it takes a deeper dive, she continues to spread awareness about the difference between a woman and a man. In the song, "What's it like to brag about raking in dollars," she states that if a man were to be bragging about his money and hooking up with girls, he would be considered a great man. But if a woman were to be "flashing my dollars," she would be considered an unacceptable person and "not a baller."  These lyrics truly state what her point of “The Man” was released for.

People tend to judge others based on their looks and you see it everywhere! Taylor Swift specifically mentions about how strangers judge a woman for what she was wearing if she was rude. The lyrics, "What I was wearing if I was rude. Could all be separated from my good ideas and power moves?" mentions that society wouldn't care what a man was wearing if he was indecent. It also wouldn't matter what a man would wear because he would still have approving ideas and admirable power moves. But if a woman were to decide to wear poor clothing choices, she would immediately be considered a person with no strong ideas.

After a while of releasing her song, “The Man,” she was nominated at the MTV Video Music Awards earning the “Video of the Year.” Under the cover of this upbeat song, Taylor Swift unpacks this issue about the patriarchy and the treatment she has experienced because of it. 

I decided to write this because The Man had a lot of lyrics that discuss today's issues.