Insanity | Teen Ink

Insanity

By Cesare GOLD, Sacramento, California
Cesare GOLD, Sacramento, California

Do you know the only value life has is what life puts upon itself? And it is of course overestimated, since it is of necessity prejudiced in its own favor. [You] do not lose anything, for with the loss of yourself, you lose the knowledge of loss.

Communicate your ideologies
Intrinsic values echoing the norm
And as a pool of liquid mercury
These poisonous reflections start to form.
Our previous sane morals start to fade
And heresy instead now fills our minds
The good samaritan who offered aid
He dwells in hell, and now with Satan dines.
Religion fades as does all right and wrong,
A gloominess descends upon the earth
Our weary moans form one macabre song
And so come to destroy remaining mirth.
Within one mind this plague has spread at lengths
Diminishing all disillusioned strengths.

I've never really understood the word "sanity." It seems to me that it is a word that people more apply to people with different values than to howling inmates of an asylum. Perhaps that makes me insane, but then again, it could mean that I'm just a different kind of sane. Oh, the rationalizing! Sanity cannot exist in a world of such differing minds!

magic-esi PLATINUM, Hyde Park, New York

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
"Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if only one remembers to turn on the light."

This is SO good. The way you form your words and construct your lines is something few people are able to achieve. It's a really amazing poem. I also agree with what you said in the little blurb next to the article. I never really thought about people's view of sanity before, but what you said is true.