Music Of Different Senses | Teen Ink

Music Of Different Senses

By Honor Ford SILVER, Furlong, Pennsylvania
Honor Ford SILVER, Furlong, Pennsylvania

The violin’s shrill echo becomes the snowy wind that rustles hair and angers school bus drivers when the large red door pushes open to the dark winter sky;
A trumpet’s piercing vibration presents as the first warm sun of spring, making itself known through the monotonous winter;
A cello’s first long low note resonates as a sinking feeling when exams are being handed back replaced by shaking relief once that red A plus stands out against the tan desk;
A trombone’s easy slide is the feeling of finishing a book—satisfied, yet a discontent aches that refuses to resolve itself until you pick up another book;
Saxophone vibrato is the adrenaline coursing through your veins as you plunge into a pool for the first time that summer, temporarily silencing the world racing around you;
A guitar’s twang is the familiarity of a hug and the distance of lost friends;
A bass’s almost indeterminable sounds are a baby’s first steps—seemingly unsure but calculated to catch your attention.
I treasure music and all it has brought me,
Continues to bring me,
And will forever bring me. 

I was inspired to write this piece after attending my school's jazz fest. How would I describe this music to someone who could not hear it?