Our Relationship Would Be Easier If You Could Just Play Nice | Teen Ink

Our Relationship Would Be Easier If You Could Just Play Nice MAG

By Megan Buckner BRONZE, Gilford, New Hampshire
Megan Buckner BRONZE, Gilford, New Hampshire

She emitted a snarl that warned
of her vermilion rage,
and seized the shiny, silver toaster
(my breakfast cookware of choice)
and brandished it above her head
with threats of defenestration.
Oh dear, how will I ever create
exquisite frozen waffle dinners?
In one gnashing breath, she shrieked
and launched a rocket full of profanities
my way while simultaneously dumping
(with excessive grace) my gleaming
toaster into our saltwater aquarium.
Save the fishes!
You’re not listening to me, are you?
No, not really. I know better.
Your words lose all sense of direction
when you are worked up like this, my dear.
Her cyan eyes flashed another warning –
the Doppler radar is forecasting severe storms.
Be prepared for anything, brace yourself.
I attempted to pacify the raging tempest; still
she captured some large wooden spoons
and red rubber spatulas (safe to 450°F)
(among other blameless bystanders to our fight)
and hurled them with unfailing inaccuracy.
With a splashing slap to my face, she snatched
her keys from the counter and with a BANG
stormed from our apartment for the last time.

luvin itt........

anythingandeverything GOLD, Bluffton, Indiana
I love how you used so much humor with such a serious topic and wording style. it's fantastic!!

. said...
i loved it!!!!!!!

luv it very well written an descriptive

Syarra_Greenwood BRONZE, Andover, Ohio

Smile, happy looks good on you!!! ( :

very very good work. it made me laugh in a few parts but it deffinetly got the point across well. keep up the good work.

and maybe you could check out some of my stuff

SilverLuna SILVER, _________, Washington

"Come fairies take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.".... W.B. Yeats.
"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss." - Douglas Adams

Haha, I don't know if the intension was leaning towards the comedic persuasion, but the inner monolauging consisting of (safe up to 450* and  Save the Fishes!) created a lovely between the heat if her anger and the weight of emotions. Great job! I really enjoyed it!

Could you read some of my work?

BaileyBaby13 BRONZE, Enumclaw, Washington

I laughed, I cried.

But really, this is amazing! Awesome job, NEVER stop writing,(:

fastpitch317 BRONZE, Milan, Michigan

Do what you love and love what you do.

WOW! Very, very well done. This is written thoughtfully and has mature style. I would not have found it out of place in a published collection of poems. You have humor and creativity to spare :)

haventy0uheard PLATINUM, Kings Park, New York
Amazing! I really enjoyed the imagery and how it was a very action-packed scene. =] You're a fabulous writer ! (also anyone who sees this please check out my work)

deus-ex-machina14 BRONZE, Stewartsville, New Jersey

"There are two main tragedies in life. One is not getting what one wants, and the other is getting it." -Oscar Wilde

Brilliant and very well written!!

olympian-queen, Charleston, South Carolina

Yesterday is history. Tommorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift that's why they call it the present.

okay so all of you disagree with me and you are all telling me that i am wrong but the other girl before me can say that "this sucks" and you don't say anything to her?? you all are twisted and you make no sense. if anything you should try and talk to the ppl who are negative. i never said that this poem "sucked" i just left my opinion. so think what you want to think but before you tell me that i am wrong look at other ppl being negative and say something to them. once you have said something to the negative ppl--- then talk to everyone else!! thanks!!

blankpages12 BRONZE, Redding, Colorado

"Sometimes you put up walls not to keep people out but to see who cares enough to break them down."

no the words are everything in this poem without them it would just be typical but with them its extraordinary.. i mean like in line two sure they could have just said of her coming anger..but how blah would that have been instead they thought it out an put an aggressive word  in there like vermilion and rage..and they are not big words there is no such thing it is simply a word , and you compare it to a "big" word because you don't understand its meaning..the words make the poem and obviously they did a pretty good job seeing how its being published...good luck author=] 

blankpages12 BRONZE, Redding, Colorado

i adore this.. it is just amazing and the incredible use of vocabulary adds a nice touch to the poem. it seems like it just wouldn't be what it is without those words and you did an amazing job of piecing them together. further more i was truly amazed when i saw the author was a female, just the way she put herself in the boys part and wrote this poem..i can almost imagine watching it play out on stage. just amazing taking on a males point of view=]

Trebled SILVER said...
Trebled SILVER, Gladstone, Other

"Everything you imagine is real." - Pablo Picasso

I adore this. If anything, the vocabulary adds to the quirky feel. Beautiful.

Alcanno DIAMOND, Mexia, Texas

"If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is
made up of."

-- Bruce Lee

I strongly disagree with demetria, no offense intended. The big words you use don't make you seem to be "trying to sound overly smart" - they add to the poem in a positive way. I love your calm response to the girl's fury and the witty facts and details you slip into your lines. Great work - keep it up and if you get a chance, check out my work? Thanks!

Fieldsofwind GOLD, Thousand Oaks, California

Here we are in chemistry class. There's no chemistry in this room, though.....it's an all-girls school and no one's brave enough to be lesbian.

I really don't think the author is attempting to sound "overly smart". I think that he has a genuinely developed vocabulary and is using it without even putting thought into it. Poems like this are especial gems because they offer proper usage of the words at hand and also let people learn.

"Getting the point across" is often not even the aim of poems such as these, it is weaving a story with brilliant style, which was done here.

To those able to make sense of it, this poem is poignant and lovely, and dictionary.com is always available.

Allison274 BRONZE, Wilton, New Hampshire
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"A well-behaved woman rarely ever makes history."

This was amazing, some words confused me since I don't have the best vocabulary, but either way it was incredible.

Vanzetti BRONZE, Salem, Oregon

If it had not been for these things, I might have lived out my life talking at street corners to scorning men. I might have died, unmarked, unknown, a failure. Now we are not a failure. This is our career and our triumph. Never in our full life could we hope to do such work for tolerance, for justice, for man's understanding of man as now we do by accident.
~Bartolomeo Vanzetti

Amazing. So poignant.

LeslieAnn BRONZE, Midvale, Utah

\\\\\\\"Dream as if you\\\\\\\'ll live forever, Live as if you\\\\\\\'ll die today\\\\\\\" \\\\\\\"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain.\\\\\\\"

I actually really enjoyed this piece.  The fact that the narrator was so relaxed while the woman was going a little over board really made for an interesting contrast.  I disagree with those who say the vocabulary took away from the content, I think it was very well done.

okinawagirl SILVER, Yuma, Arizona

Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the LORD shall be praised-Proverbs 31:30
"All the World's a Stage"-Shakespeare

Don't listen to the crazy people who don't get it.  I got it and LOVED it, very well writen.

(check out my work please :)  )