All I Need Is a Friend | Teen Ink

All I Need Is a Friend MAG

By Ryan Moran BRONZE, Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Ryan Moran BRONZE, Mt. Prospect, Illinois

Books fill up my room.
Not baseball cards,
or pictures of girls,
or basketballs.
Maybe a blown up picture of …
… Pam Anderson might help.

Black-framed glasses
and a white,
pale,
lanky
body.
I should start working out.

At least I can read.
I read four books a day last summer.
The librarian,
80-year-old Mrs. Woodsworth,
she knows my middle name.
If only I had a real friend.
I am sick of seeing her old,
bony,
pale body.
Although it resembles mine.

The kids at school laugh.
Is it the way I dress?
Lacoste,
Ralph Lauren,
La Tigre.
I’ve tried every designer out there.
Staying in the house really saves me money.
My stupid rich parents give me $50 a week for lunch.
$50 times 36 weeks …
what is that?
$1,000,
$2,000,
$10,000?
I should probably know.
Straight A’s 12 years in a row
and counting.

With all of this,
or none of this –
it depends how you look at it –
all I need is a friend.

Christina BRONZE, Clifton, Virginia
Aw, this has good feeling. I'm sad for you, which means that this is a good poem.

aidenfantastic BRONZE, Glen Burnie, Maryland
Awsome Poem dewd!

kissingdawn331 SILVER, Palatine, Illinois

"when your hourglass runs out of sand you can't flip it over and start again."(changes weekly so check next weeks l8er)

hey i understand..i'll be your friend but iguess that's what everyone says when they never get to know people...to me though the out side does not matter...friends don't care.

Kathy:] BRONZE said...
on Mar. 3 2009 at 2:51 am
Kathy:] BRONZE, Newark, Illinois
I Like How Every One Is Like, I'll Be Your Friend :]

Makes Me Smile.

But Anywho.

I was just gonna say, nice poem.

It's True.But You Know.

Life Is What You Make It :]

wow...that was so...true. it was like i was talking to you. awww. i'll,be your friend, though

This is the best poem I've read in my entire life. Keep writing poems, and I'll be your friend.

Huntress said...
This is a fantastic poem. Maybe you do need a friend. Or, perhaps, you are perfect in your solitary world. Anyway, if you do need a friend, there are many people out there who will love you for you. Look. Good Luck, and keep up hope.

~SennaRae~ BRONZE, Lapeer, Michigan
I've got alot of friends and trust me, they're not all they're cracked up to be. You have to remember names they give you and problems that have occured... it's tiring! One friend would probably be so much better but with one comes more and more... if you get a social friend!

With friends you also have to watch what you say or risk loosing them and then again if you lost them over a tiff then they weren't good friends to begin with.

Maybe I'm just cynical because I've been through this but basically I'm telling you, be careful what you wish for!

Miss.Bliss1 BRONZE, Scotsburn, Other
Pepole can be such idiots sometimes. I get bullyed at school and there all just such jerks.

Thanks for makeing me not feel so alone.

Thanks for let'in me know I'm not the only one who gets bullyed out there.

Don't let them get to you.

Just yell and scream at them.

If pepole R buggin u u dam we'll better STICK UP FO YO SELF! I learnt the hard way that you can't let it get worse and worse!..DO SOMETHING!

YourFriend said...
I'll be your friend. I love meeting new people and the ppl. who laugh at you are just so jealous of what you have and they envy you. Don't worry about them. If they want be your friends, you have God.

joise30 said...
on Feb. 22 2009 at 4:53 am
joise30, Bronx, New York
I will be your friend i fell soory for you. this made me cry you have a very good hearta and the kids who bother you are just plain dum ok. keep writing

Readalot101 BRONZE, Nowhere, Kentucky
That was so touching!!! I feel that sometimes I can really relate to it!!!I had a good pattern!!!

Muh-ree-uh PLATINUM, Springboro, Ohio

"This one's for the girls who have ever had a broken heart, who have wished upon a shooting star, you're beautiful the way you are..."
-Martina McBride

WOW!!! That was really great! I loved it! Keep up the great work!!! You are an awesome writer!

hurleygirlie said...
on Feb. 20 2009 at 2:40 am
I really love this poem! I like it because it shows the stuggle of trying to fit in in school and of laking friends!

mads04 SILVER said...
on Feb. 19 2009 at 2:08 am
mads04 SILVER, Frederick, Maryland
your writing reminds me of ellen hopkins. you should read her book impulse.

but anyway besides that you have a real insight for what a person goes through to be even just recognized in high school. so nice job.

mah4angel said...
I usually don't write poetry about myself, usually I don't even write poetry about other people. But, I do use my imagination to create stories I think would be sad or happy or any kind of emotion. Usually poems that I do that with are the most thought-provoking and intense ones because I can make up things that sound really bad or really happy but are just unrealistic. I hope someday I can take myself back from that and create poetry about real-life problems like this one.

momoney said...
Thanks for the feedback everyone. You guys are all great.

on Feb. 18 2009 at 6:43 am
This is great! If it were about you, it'd be more personal, but WOW, I honestly thought it was! Loved it! Keep writing! Lettie

on Feb. 18 2009 at 4:25 am
writingis4ever PLATINUM, Calabasas, California
wow. great poem.

on Feb. 18 2009 at 3:28 am
ok, initial reaction to your poem? wow, this is really good. I bet a lot of people can relate to this. I was right, I guess, and THEN I saw your (author? momoney?) comments and I was like HUH. He's not rly like this. BUT THEN, I realized that you are being compassionate and kudos a million times for that. excellent and srry if this comment box is forever long. ;)