.HER. | Teen Ink

.HER.

By Lafaye BRONZE, Bonifay, Florida
Lafaye BRONZE, Bonifay, Florida

“If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. … We need not wait to see what others do.”-Mahatma Gandhi

From the moment we met, I knew you'd be different. That we'd last longer than anyone else ever thought…but now I think I'm beginning to realize that I'm in love with the guy I met back then…..and that's not the guy that I'm with now. You're still in love with her. By Her, I mean the so-called freedom that I apparently stole from you. Your mind is still stuck in its old ways. You want me, but you want other options as well. I'm supposed to be perfect for you, doing any and everything you want me to do and not have a single complaint. Her doesn't have to be a female. Her is those games that you play on your phone 24/7. The messages going back and forth between you and your "friends". The football games that you HAVE to watch. The certain way everything has to be. If it isn't done your way, it's wrong.

Congratulations.

Instead of asking you to compromise with me, I'll just let you and Her have a very happy future together while I stay hidden in the shadows of my own sorrow.

Sometimes, taking a step back evaluating things can really open your eyes...