Ashes | Teen Ink

Ashes

By theskylarksings GOLD, Columbia, Kentucky
theskylarksings GOLD, Columbia, Kentucky

The sound of my heartbeat resonated like the reading of a liturgy in a cathedral. My heart was pounding pounding sounding louder than her painted-on giggle louder than his paper-thin smile But I couldn’t hear them. I had spent hours composing just the right line just the right comeback but they all flew straight out of my head instead of flying straight out of my mouth All that practice for nothing. They disappeared as though fire had kindled from some wound within my heart and left nothing but ashes.

@guard-girl Why thank you! I like that idea, I hadn't thought of it as a musical connotation, but I can really see where that could go. I appreciate it! :) -SS

guard-girl GOLD, Clover, South Carolina

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not depend on your own understanding. Seek His will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take."
Proverbs 3:5-6

I like this :) it has amazing imagery. I really like when you use the word "composing". Maybe you could try to extend that metaphor a bit, and integrate composing the right words throughout most of the poem, to further the musical imagery? Just a thought :)